1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What should I think of some eggs I candled?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChiefZero, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ChiefZero

ChiefZero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    OK I candled my 3 batam eggs and 1 had veins and a clear embryo developing, the other 2 do not have any clear viens but DO have a large black mass in center. I raised duck eggs before and all reach the very end and did not make it [​IMG] (bad incubator...I made) so I SOMEWHAT know what I am looking for. Since it is only day 6 what do you think, dead, alive, or undefined?

thanks
    ChiefZero

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    What til 10 days, or if you can stand it, 14. Sometimes it's really hard to tell with eggs that early on and on the 14th day you are going to see if things have progressed or not. Good luck.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Yes I can vouch for that , I candled on day 5 and day 7 and saw nothing but a few viens in a couple of my eggs though the rest were obvious with viens and embryos and even some movement . I was shure they were bad but I waited per the advice here and when I candled on day 10 saw movement in both of them.

4. ChiefZero

ChiefZero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    ok sounds good...I'll try to wait till 14 days, emphasis on the try! [​IMG]

thanks
    ChiefZero

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    lol I know , I would candle every day all my eggs if I wasnt worried it might hurt them so I wait about 2 to 3 days lol I know I should wait longer but it is SOOOOOOOOOO awsome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by