What should the temp be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jan 3, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    If I am going to hatch chicken eggs, what should the tempature be?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read that it depends upon what kind of incubator you have. I use 99.5 for my Brinsea Mini-Advance. Brinsea has a free downloadable hatching guide if you are interested on their website.

Tell us what kind of incubator?? (I won't be able to help more but it will help others answer.)

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I actually have a homemade one. It is not finished yet, but should be within a couple days. It is a 10 gallon fish tank. I am going to be adding a small desk fan to it.. Would that make it a forced air incubator? [​IMG]

Thanks for your input by the way.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I actually have a homemade one. It is not finished yet, but should be within a couple days. It is a 10 gallon fish tank. I am going to be adding a small desk fan to it.. Would that make it a forced air incubator? [​IMG]

Thanks for your input by the way.

You are welcome. I would think that would make it forced air, but I am no expert at incubation.​

5. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    It goes any where between 90 to 100, 99 to 101, 103 to 106... I have mine at 100 or so... but it is pretty big...

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The incubator must be able to hold the temp at 100 degrees +/- 1 degree. Anything over 104 for a period of time will start the breakdown of proteins in the egg which leads to death.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

8. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    A chicken's body temp is 99.5 +/- a degree or two. I'd say aim for 100 like what was recommended. Remember the humidity too. ^^

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by