What should we do differently? Have our fist dead chicken.

Wet and frigid winds are not a good combination - keep an eye out for sneezing or runny discharge from the nostrils in the remainder of your flock. Set up a roll-away tarp for the 'windy' side of your run so it can still be opened up in summer for a nice breeze. Get into those corners with a low\no fume sealer to plug the drafts in the coop and I would recommend some shutterable vents up high to allow for airflow. Ideally placed to allow a passive 'in' and 'out' with the wind. If you have driving rain, an overhanging shutter will help keep most of it from coming in.
In the worst of weather, your coop should be able to be closed up completely and then fully opened again when the weather is pleasant or hot to allow maximum airflow. Ideally, at night, it would be completely closed except for rain-resistant vents.

Chickens, you have to show them everything until they want to do it. You shouldn't have issues with that 2x4 roost now.
I had to pick up and put my girls on the roost for the first two nights with a night light.
Then for a few days after dark turn on the night light so they would get off the ground and move up on their own.
After a few more days they didn't need the light. Little chicken kids need a bed time story.
They are all grown up now and I'll have eggs in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom