What show breed do recommend for a newbie.?

dawlita

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
My coop would be in my residential backyard. I want a Hen that is not too expensive that I could
show at our local fairs in Southern Calif. Im a total newbie with a desire to raise a Hen that I could
take to the fair and possible win. What breed do you recommend? Im a regular working class person.

Dawlita

Quote:
I just want a few for a Hobbie....plz give me some suggestions with pics.

Anything sold at a feedstore, hatchery, or by a local is good for newbies.
smile.png

There are SOOO many breeds out there, I think you should look around a bit and see witch ones you like. NO hens are "hard" to show and raise. Some my be flighty.. some calmer, but even a flighty hen would not be hard to show at a local fair, you put the chicken in a cage and they poke it with sticks. Cheep? All chickens are cheep, $12-$20 for a hen. If you want good show birds, breed dose not matter. It will be around $50. And thats for full grown chickens! Chicks are $2, rare breed or layer.
wink.png
This is my sumatra, my show wining hen, I got for $5 as a chick.
big_smile.png

50900_flight2.jpg

Quote:
I just want a few for a Hobbie....plz give me some suggestions with pics.

For shows, I would try Silkies, Cochins or OEGBs(they are a favorite at shows).
If they are small local shows/fairs, feedstore or hatchery chicks should be OK, but if you are talking about the larger shows, try to find a local breeder near you and buy some chicks from them.
I don't have Silkies or OEGBs and my Cochins are only a few months old, so I don't have any pics of adults to show you-sorry.
Good luck!

Quote:
But anything sold at a feed store or hatchery can be pretty much guaranteed not to win at any shows. You'll probably want something bantam-sized, and preferably something that's not too 'hot'. Some breeds are very common and hard to win with at any shows, silkies are one example.

Quote:
But anything sold at a feed store or hatchery can be pretty much guaranteed not to win at any shows. You'll probably want something bantam-sized, and preferably something that's not too 'hot'. Some breeds are very common and hard to win with at any shows, silkies are one example.

Oh my! I feel like an idiot for not fully reading the description.
hide.gif
Sincere apologies, and yes, hatcheries/feedstores will NOT give you show winners. Unless it is a county fair with little participation. Boy I've seen some sad birds and even mutts there. . . .

First I think you need to get a breed that appeals to you and to see if you even like having chickens.....then think about getting something you can show. And you need to have several.....they're flock birds and don't enjoy being alone.

Quote:

Oh my! I feel like an idiot for not fully reading the description.
hide.gif
Sincere apologies, and yes, hatcheries/feedstores will NOT give you show winners. Unless it is a county fair with little participation. Boy I've seen some sad birds and even mutts there. . . .

Depends on the hatchery and breed... I have seen some good hatchery birds, not great but good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom