What size are our chickens’ eggs?

Jo1705

Chirping
May 26, 2018
our chickens have been laying for the past month but I still don’t know what the size of their eggs are. Can anyone help me? Thank you

( White Egg is Large )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 8
@IamRainey beware, grading weights vary by region! - here (EU) they are 10g brackets, changing on the x3, so 53-62g = medium, and large = 63-72g. Most cookery books will clarify what scale they are using in the introductory material, but websites are often slack in this.

Here in Connecticut, U.S.A. Chicken egg weight is as follows.
Peewee; 35 grams, 1.25 ounces, 15 ounces per Dozen.
Small; 43 grams, 1.5 ounces, 18 ounces per Dozen.
Medium; 50 grams, 1.75 ounces, 21 ounces per Dozen.
Large; 57 grams, 2 ounces, 24 ounces per Dozen.
Extra Large; 64 grams, 2.25 ounces, 27 ounces per Dozen.
Jumbo; 71 grams, 2.5 ounces, 30 ounces per Dozen.
GC

Newly laying pullets can take days, or weeks... or months to get up to a 'large' size.
Second season of laying most birds will usually produce fewer but larger eggs.
I just use a cheap(was ~$13 five years ago) digital kitchen scale to weigh eggs and cartons.

Same info as GC-Raptor but easier for me to read:
full

i dont have any comments on grading egg sizes but...
I've worked at a bakery for a good 8 years. size of eggs really dont matter with a recipe. recipes are always a guideline, everything affects yours bakery, altitude, humidity, minerals in water, ingredient impurities, ect. use the guidelines (recipe) and adjust for moisture as you go. bakery is half art half science. small yolk = less bonding which may cause your end product to fall apart or crumble but with other recipes that may be ideal. i think you all get the point.
just thought id mention that XD have a great day bye

Back
Top Bottom