1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What size bag of feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by briana1975, Mar 6, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I have my first chicks coming in April. I have read not to over stock on your feed because it loses it's neutrional value. [ i am a bad speller by the way] Any ways I ordered 12 chicks. There is a possibility of getting extrs roos. What size bag of chick starter should I get. They carry a small bag like 20lbs. or something and a 50lb. bag. I just don't want feed to go bad if it sits around to long. What do you think?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It depends on the breed, too. If you have slow-growers, like brahmas or cochins, I'd keep them on the starter until 8 weeks of age before I start to mix in grain & stuff...I keep mine in a metal garbage can...

3. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    I started with 5 chicks and a twenty five lb. starter/grower. I went through three bags before I switched to a layer crumble. And though you didn't ask, I thought I'd mention water bottles with tubes were way less messy than the normal drinking dish. Wish I could have 12 chicks. Lucky you.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:I ordered 5 barred rocks 4 buff orps, and 3 grey silkies. So mostly large or standard breeds.

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    if you have a chest freezer.. buy the 50lbs and put some of it in plastic bag in the freezer.. i have never done it but i know people that have...
    if not just buy the 25lbs at a time, if it truly concerns you...

i have a row of about 7 metal trashcans with chicken feed and horse feed..

6. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I started with a 20 lb bag and at 4 1/2 weeks I bought a 50 lb bag. They will surprise you with how fast they grow and how much they eat. I just bout them a 3 lb feeder and I still have to monitor it closely or they will run out same with water I got 3 qt size to start out, but i got a 1 gollon waterer the same to as the feeder, I fill it up 2 times a day. I forgot to say I have 28 chicks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Save your money and buy the biggest (bag 50#), you or your chicks will not notice a difference, and if truely lost over time, check the packaged date on your 20/25# bag I would bet since most stores go through the bigger bags quicker the bigger bag is fresher anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by