WHAT SIZE COOP & RUN FOR 40 LAYERS?

The way I understand this, you want maybe 40 hens and the maximum fenced run space you could reasonably have is about 1,000 square feet. Your concern is that it will turn into a mud hole. I’m not going to be very supportive. They will strip all the vegetation from that area I don’t care how you rotate it. How fast will depend a lot on your climate and what type of vegetation you have on it, but they will strip it. Perhaps your concern should be more with how to keep it from becoming a mud hole instead of worrying about keeping grass on it.

There are two basic principles when dealing with a muddy run. First is to try to keep water out. The second is to help any water that gets in to quickly get out.

You probably can’t afford to put a roof on something that size. It would take a really strong roof to handle wind, snow, and ice over a span as wide as I’d expect you to have. So rainwater will get in. But one thing you can do is use landscaping to keep rainwater from running in there. Use berms and swales to direct water away from it so it does not get in. I like berms and swales because they are gentle, it is usually fairly easy to prevent them from eroding, and you should be able to use a riding mower over them. Also, make sure your coop roof is sloped or use gutters so rainwater is directed away from your run.

The other thing is to try to position it so it will drain. Don’t put it in a low spot. Put it on a slope or the top of a little hill. If you have it put it in a low spot, maybe fill it some so it is higher than the surrounding area. Sand works real well as a filler since it drains so well.

You are not going to keep it perfectly dry if the weather sets in wet. If you have a little run where you could cover it and fill it with several inches of sand, you could keep it pretty dry, but not with a run the size you’ll need for 40 hens.

If you want them to get some green stuff, you can build a frame out of maybe 2x6’s and cover that with wire mesh. All I’m talking about is a rectangle covered with wire mesh where they can eat the grass that grows through the wire mesh but they cannot get to the roots to scratch them out and eat them.

A lot of us integrate new chickens with very few problems. Occasionally there are problems, but many of us do it all the time. If space is tight, it is a lot harder, but if you have plenty of space, it can be done, usually without a lot of worry. Don’t let it get into your head that integrating chickens is always a disaster. I do it every year with brooder raised chicks and I have not lost one yet to integration.

I hate to give hard and fast numbers for coop or run space. The minimum you need can vary depending on the individual chicken’s personality, the breed, how many you have, your climate, and how you manage them. Instead of looking at the minimum space you can get by with, I suggest you provide as much space as you reasonably can. I normally free range, though I’m limited right now to a space with electric netting because of predator problems. But my coop is big enough I can leave them locked in it for a couple of days if I want to without them killing each other. My run is big enough that I can leave them all locked in there for a month or more if I need to and still have room for a broody to raise chicks with the flock. Providing extra space gives you a lot more flexibility in how you manage them and how you deal with problems. I find the more space I can give them, the less hard I have to work. I have not shoveled my coop out in three years. I’ll probably do it this fall, not because I have to but so I can get that stuff on my garden.

What you are talking about is very possible, but I’m sorry. You will not have any grass in there.

Good luck!!!

Now some of you have me thinking about reducing the number of hens I start out with...and as for the run, I can maybe build two runs and alternate them. Is there anything I can do to the one resting to help it along when they return to it?

if you want grass you realistically need less chickens or 3-4 runs at least...... Last summer i kept 30 on 1/4 acre divided into six spots. They had to be moved every 4-5 days and the area under the coop still took time to recover after only 5 days.......like i said if you really still want grass and not just mud/poop the #'s are around 50/acre for year round inhabitants

RIDGERUNNER....I really appreciate the extent to which you spent time writing your thoughts. I really had hoped to start out with about 40, but I am leaning to paring it back to 25. Do you think a 200 sq ft coop would work for that many?

Last edited:
I live in MT, and lodgepole pine is free (for you to cut down). Soooo, this is how I would do it. I would build the coop out of logs 10 ft. 8 ft of each log is wall length, 2 feet is over hang (think lincoln logs). It would be built as an octagon (I saw your eyes roll! But I am serious). An octagon at 8 feet even lengths would be 309 sq ft. The coop would be completely open, and of the deep litter variety (regardless, deep litter is the only way to go :). The "run" would be chicken wire set up all the way around the perimeter, 15 feet from the walls. I call it... Levenworth :).

Note: The walls still need mortar between logs $. The roof would need to be built out of modern materials, and continue over the run $.

Plus you can use the bark as feed for your chickens! (inside joke)

Our 600sq ft run for 30-35 chickens is a sloped run. it was a gravel driveway for years that had grassed over. While there is no grass now, like I said before, the mud is very minimal with the gravel base. After several days of rain the top layer gets muddy, but one day of wind and sun, and it is dry again. The rain is diverted by gutter from the chicken house, and an old existing ditch line above the lot. The full sun, deep gravel base, and sloping lot all work really well together. We actually have 10 barred rocks, and 24 RIRs divided in this run, all large chickens, with no problems.

but how much manure run off is there everytime it rains?

In mine, it is not a problem at all. That's a little unfair to say because I live where I have lots of room for them and I provide a lot more room than the often recommended 4 sq ft in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run. My run is positioned so that any nutrient-rich runoff goes into a farmer's pasture. He'd be grateful for the nutrients, though to look at that piece fo pasture compared to others, it is not really receiving any benefits. The grass is not greener or growing better below my run, so I really don't think there is any significant nutrient runoff when it rains.

With the size of my flock and the space I have, it is not a problem anyway. The manure in the run is scratched and scattered, along with everything else in there. Under the roost in the coop is the only place it builds up at all. For years I just raked that poop in the bedding and never had to clean it out, but I finally put in a droppings board to gather some poop for the compost pile.

That is one of the advantages of providing extra room. You don't have to work as hard managing the poop load. I know a lot of our forum members live where they can't provide a lot of room, so they have to work harder and do the best they can. We all live in different locations with different climates. I can't say that poop runoff is never a problem for anyone. But the more space you provide, the less possibility it is that it will be a problem.

alot of it depends on where and how much land you own. for me i have about 45 chickens total in a 17x17 barn i let them out about 4 times a week to free range and i was surprised they did`nt mess up to much land around the barn as a matter of fact my horse did 10 times the mess lol. if land is not a issue then get the 40 and free range when you can

Back
Top Bottom