What size coop?

I think we'll build it 8 x 10. I want to have room for a small broader pen for babies. My runs are going to be 10 x 12. Two of them. One on each side of the coop. Going to make sure they're predator proof this time! The runs are existing but we're going to refine them with snake proof wire this time. Dang snakes and varmints. Ha ! Sounds like Yosemite Sam!

I think we'll build it 8 x 10. I want to have room for a small broader pen for babies. My runs are going to be 10 x 12. Two of them. One on each side of the coop. Going to make sure they're predator proof this time! The
That sounds like a great coop! Sounds super big and very easy to access, and I never thought of adding an area for chicks to a coop before but that's really smart especially if you are going to get more chickens or if you breed them! I really like your coop idea :)

Also, should I get electric fencing to keep them safe or is that too dangerous for the chickens?
Check out my post (#(9) in this thread about height.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quick-question.1464292/

I use 48" high electric netting from Premiere1. It stops any ground based predator, even climbing or digging ones. It does not stop flying predators.

It is extremely safe for chickens. The current is not steady, it pulses about 50 times a minute. Sine it pulses the animals and you can turn loose and get away. Sometimes my chickens peck at the grass or weeds growing around it and hit a hot wire. They squawk, bounce back a couple of feet, and go back to eating. No harm.

Check out my post (#(9) in this thread about height.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quick-question.1464292/

I use 48" high electric netting from Premiere1. It stops any ground based predator, even climbing or digging ones. It does not stop flying predators.

It is extremely safe for chickens. The current is not steady, it pulses about 50 times a minute. Sine it pulses the animals and you can turn loose and get away. Sometimes my chickens peck at the grass or weeds growing around it and hit a hot wire. They squawk, bounce back a couple of feet, and go back to eating. No harm.
I checked out your post and it was very helpful! I will probably get the same type of electric netting as you, and we don't have that many flying predators.

It makes me feel better that that won't harm the chickens- we will most likely get it. Thank you so much! :)

I checked out your post and it was very helpful! I will probably get the same type of electric netting as you, and we don't have that many flying predators.

It makes me feel better that that won't harm the chickens- we will most likely get it. Thank you so much! :)

I have the kit with the solar charger.

If you go with the solar charger you need to have a coop secure enough that you can bring the charger in at night from time to time to give it a plug-in charge because the charge will run down in the winter during the short days, during extended cloudy/rainy weather, and when the solar panel is dirty (pollen season for me).

I'm new to chickens too. I have a 7'x7' coop and an 8'x10' run for 8 hens. They free range most of the day on our property, which is 12 acres unfenced. They have an acre of pine and spruce forest right behind the coop, and several acres of lawn to roam, so tons of space. But...

I think I should have went bigger with the coop and run, just sayin' 😁

Good for you! Yes I'm rebuilding and going to go bigger. I have about what you have but I'm going to make it a little bigger and taller! Mostly so I don't have to stoop and I'll have room for more if I want. I used to free range but I have a fox that keeps picking off my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom