what size eggs do your EE and your Salmon Faverolles lay?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
my girls are 23.5 weeks now.

My EE laid her first egg on Aug 29th and it was only 31g which I read that they start small so thought nothing of it. She didn't lay her 2nd one until Sept 5th and that one was around 34-35g I think. Since then she is laying 6 a week. They have all been around 39-40g. I know it takes time to get bigger but figured they would get bigger each time or at least get bigger over the past 2 weeks or so (she has been laying steady for 17 days now). These eggs are tiny! I think small or even smaller than small eggs. I thought she would lay medium eggs so wasn't expecting big eggs but much bigger.

My Salmon Faverolle started laying Sept 12 and laid 5 last week and so far 2 this week. Her first was 35g then from 2nd on has been about 39-40g as well. Will hers start to get bigger? again I know they start small but figured they would be getting bigger over the last 7 eggs and not just stay the same. again I was expecting medium eggs from her.

They are on all flock since i have a rooster and I have oyster shells out for them. Just curious what other peoples experience has been.

I'm not too sure on specific details on egg laying sizes, but you are correct, they do begin small and slowly get larger over time. Ive seen specific eggs start small and steadily getting larger, I'd say maybe in a span of a couple months (though I haven't payed too much attention.)

Where did you originally get your EEs? Mine I believe are originally from Cackle hatchery, and they lay med-large eggs, leaning more on the larger end. Not sure about faverolles...

I'd recommend waiting a couple more months to come to a conclusion on definite egg sizes. They have only just started laying :) Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

I'm not too sure on specific details on egg laying sizes, but you are correct, they do begin small and slowly get larger over time. Ive seen specific eggs start small and steadily getting larger, I'd say maybe in a span of a couple months (though I haven't payed too much attention.)

Where did you originally get your EEs? Mine I believe are originally from Cackle hatchery, and they lay med-large eggs, leaning more on the larger end. Not sure about faverolles...

I'd recommend waiting a couple more months to come to a conclusion on definite egg sizes. They have only just started laying :) Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.
I got them from the local feed store but not sure what hatchery they use. Ok at least there is still hope of them getting a bit bigger. haahaa. I don't mind the small eggs but man it would take so many to feed a family. :)

My Salmon Faverolle's egg is definitely on the small side (they're 40-45g, and she's over 1 yr old) but I don't know if that's a breed thing.

My EEs have all laid large (like typical grocery store size) eggs.
Thanks. at least it is good to know that others do so I don't sit and wait for mine to get bigger to then have it not happen. I can just be surprised if it does. hahaaa.

Did your EE start out laying bigger or did it take months for them to get bigger?

They are such cute eggs and we don't eat a ton of eggs a week so don't mind them smaller but it sure will take a LOT of eggs when we feed a group of people. haahaa!

Thanks. at least it is good to know that others do so I don't sit and wait for mine to get bigger to then have it not happen. I can just be surprised if it does. hahaaa.

Did your EE start out laying bigger or did it take months for them to get bigger?

They are such cute eggs and we don't eat a ton of eggs a week so don't mind them smaller but it sure will take a LOT of eggs when we feed a group of people. haahaa!
For me personally, yes, it took several months for a larger size.

my girls are 23.5 weeks now.

My EE laid her first egg on Aug 29th and it was only 31g which I read that they start small so thought nothing of it. She didn't lay her 2nd one until Sept 5th and that one was around 34-35g I think. Since then she is laying 6 a week. They have all been around 39-40g. I know it takes time to get bigger but figured they would get bigger each time or at least get bigger over the past 2 weeks or so (she has been laying steady for 17 days now). These eggs are tiny! I think small or even smaller than small eggs. I thought she would lay medium eggs so wasn't expecting big eggs but much bigger.

My Salmon Faverolle started laying Sept 12 and laid 5 last week and so far 2 this week. Her first was 35g then from 2nd on has been about 39-40g as well. Will hers start to get bigger? again I know they start small but figured they would be getting bigger over the last 7 eggs and not just stay the same. again I was expecting medium eggs from her.

They are on all flock since i have a rooster and I have oyster shells out for them. Just curious what other peoples experience has been.
I have two Easter Eggers and their first eggs were 45 and 49 grams. Both are laying 60-65 gram eggs currently. I noticed a big jump in the size of their eggs this fall. My hens are fifteen months old.
I agree that the eggs you are getting are small, but I will bet they are cute!

Back
Top Bottom