Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have multiple large and small flocks

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have multiple large flocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm off the charts

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
So what size flock are you running? Do you have more than one? any tips for management? any regrets, wishes, or future plans to expand or downsize?
I currently have 9... one rooster, one guinea, three adult hens and four "teenagers".
I have made a lot of mistakes along the way, which sadly cost me a lot of birds.
Advice... don't buy the "coop kits". They are flimsy and predators can destroy them. When making a chicken tractor, be careful of the weight and make sure your chicken wire is secure.
My future plans are to keep my rooster and one hen separate from the others for reproduction. All other eggs will be for consumption while the eggs from that hen will be for more chicks.

Approximate numbers:

• One flock of 20
  • Another "flock" of 20 subdivided into three cohorts to accommodate two roosters and one special needs group
There's a total of 5 coops to close and open daily, but this allows maximum flexibility when a social issue pops up. I understand it would be more practical to rehome or repurpose hens with weaknesses/social difficulties, but I find I can usually integrate them together with a lot of success.

So what size flock are you running? Do you have more than one? any tips for management? any regrets, wishes, or future plans to expand or downsize?
We now have 7 ladies & 1 gentleman. When we bought the chicks (a year ago) we ended up with 7 hens, 4 roosters & 2 Bantums. The 3 Wyandotte boys were very rough with the ladies & very aggressive. So they took a ride. The 2 Bantums hated each other & became aggressive also. They found a new home with a neighbor. Our poor hens have next to no back feathers due to the boys being so rough. Will they ever regrow feathers? 1 hen is still sheepish due to those guys. If we ever have to get more birds, they surely will NOT be roosters since they don't know how to behave.

I have one large flock divided into several subflocks:

The Hens (4) 2-years
The Biddies (3) 6-months
Lil 'n' Lu (2) 6-months
The Chickies (4) ten-weeks
And, if Jen's eggs hatch, the Buggers (one-week-in-the-egg)

They all free range together.

I have two coops: the main one divided into several apartments, to accommodate most of the subflocks, and a smaller one for the last subflock.

The Hens and Lil 'n' Lu both have a rooster in their pen. They take turns free ranging because they'll fight otherwise.

I have a mixed flock of 6! They are not laying age yet, but they should come July. The rooster just started crowing too. I'd be tempted to have another small flock, but I think this is a good size considering my partner doesn't like eggs that much so I'll have more than I need!

1 White Silkie (rooster)
1 White Silkie (pullet)
1 Lavender Orpington (pullet)
1 Speckled Sussex (pullet)
1 Blue Laced Golden Wyandotte (pullet)
1 Barred Rock (pullet)

4 is enough with all my school work. When I'm older I'll have around 7. I plan on doing a job that involves me being at my house, so I can take care of them on break/ while working. How on earth can some of you manage 20??? 4 is exhausting enough!

Back
Top Bottom