1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What size legbands?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by WestKnollAmy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    As I continue to be given more and more pairs of peafowl, which I totally adore, I realize that I will need to use numbered leg bands instead of just zip ties. I have some colored ring bands now that are much too big for the birds I have and I can use those but for my breeding programs I usually use #9 colored, numbered leg bands to keep up with my bloodlines and write in my record books.

Looking at the different birds he is giving me, there are about 8 pairs and maybe as many as 10 pairs (possibly trios). Some are the same variety like Silver Pied but also I may want to move some birds around to try different combinations and need each bird to be easily ID'd in my record keeping.

These birds are from 2 years old up to 10 years old.

What size do you all recommend or use?

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I would also like to know too. Also, where do you all get your leg bands? Do you get it localy or is it something you have to order? I have been keeping all my peafowl in one pen, but I really don't want to mix that many varieties up, so I am going to get started on building some more pens and I am sure the leg bands will be something I will need to get into doing. Is it hard putting them on?

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    MinxFox,
    I searched the good old web and found the sizes that may be needed are 11 and 12. They come in those colored spirals and the numbered bands.
    I use these on my breeding birds now like my bantam Cochins and Guineas but #9's. They can be tricky to get on but Murray McMurray has a video on their website on how they put them on. Looks easy but my fingers are not as cooperative and goodness knows the feathered legged breeds I have are not as easy but I get them on okay.

I figure what I will do is get colored numbered bands and I already have some #11 and #12 colored rings I can use on the other leg to help me record other things, if need be. The rings are very cheap but the numbered bands can cost from $9 to $12 a box of 25. Check out Cutler Supply.

I just wondered what others on here use if they are breeding a good many pairs in the same colors.

I also plan to put them on when I transfer the birds to my farm in another month. Since I will have them caught I figure that is as good a time as any!

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I know some people use wing bands, but that just seems like it would be harder to see. Leg bands sound better because you could see them. I guess the wing bands are just a peachick thing?
    Thanks for your help!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Not sure what size to you. Someone gave me a bag of leg bands that are perfect. But I don't know what size I have. I just know I have different sizes and they have numbers on them. It's a retractable band that stretches out. It fits loosely on the base of the legs.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My 6 peateens, ages 4-6 months, are all in a size 10 (5/8") right now and they're getting too tight, so I'm going to change them to 12's (3/4") today.

1/4"

Small Baby Chicks, Adult Quail, Small Pigeon, Doves, Bobwhite, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail

5/16”

Chicks, Adult Quail, Pigeon, Partridge, Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck

3/8”

Pheasant Cocks, Month Old Chicks, Chukar Partridge, Large Pigeon

7/16”

Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Large Pigeon, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons

½”

Grouse, Young Geese, Male Ringneck Pheasant

9/16”

Anacana, Campine, Hamburg, Houdan, Silkies, Cornish, Langsham and Cochin Bantams, Leghorn hens, Gamebirds, Wild Ducks, Pheasants

5/8”

Wild Turkey, Adult Guinea's, Wyandottes, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas

11/16”

Peafowl Hens, Araucana, Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin

¾”

Turkey Hens, Smaller Race Geese, Larger Chickens, Wild Geese, Rocks, Geese, Jersey Giant cocks, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy

7/8”

Large Breed Geese, Turkeys, Honkers Large Cockerels, Canada Geese, Jersey Giant Cocks

1”

Turkey Toms

Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Poultry-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4abf0af30c

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    We got ours from:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Poultry-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4abf0af30c

10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Ooh thank you soo much for the link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by