What size mesh to use?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
I'm building on a really tight budget, but I've been going with the best that I can afford ATM.

That said: 1/2" mesh hardware cloth should be small enough to keep pretty much everything out, right? HD had 1/4", but it came in shorter, smaller rolls and was WAY more expensive overall.

Also- when I install the hardware cloth, will staples and 1x2's screwed into the studs be strong enough to keep most things out? I'm not planning on putting up the inside-plywood until later this fall.

Thanks so much for your help! Tomorrow is wall-raisin' day, followed shortly by roofing day and "lets see if Jenn can keep from maiming or killing herself with the saw" day (also known as sheathing day). Pics to come shortly!

Are you talking staple gun staples or the U shaped nail-like "staples"? If it's just staple gun staples - they're about useless. But screwing the 1x2s on overtop as battans would fix that (if that's what you were talking about).

BTWay...have you considered just using washers and screws to hold the HW cloth on? That, to me, was the easiest way - well - at least if you have a drill or power screw driver - no battans needed.

And yes - 1/2" hardware cloth is FINE. I did use the 1/4 inch on the windows of my banty coop, but it seems pretty flimsy to me (not sure of guage right now). I like the 1/2" much better, and as you said, it's certainly cheaper.

Personally I don't think there's any point at all in 1/4" hardwarecloth unless you have illusions of keeping mice out, and really, lotsa luck keepin' mice out
tongue.png

I would absolutely go with the 1/2" stuff.

Staplegun staples are not good for anything except maybe tacking the mesh in place temporarily while you put in other fasteners; but screwing thru 1x2 battens is an excellent strong method.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I used poultry nails to attach my half inch by one inch Hardware cloth/welded wire, and it is very secure.

Electrical staples work great and will be alot cheaper than 1 1/2 deckmates and washers. Sheetrock screws will do in a pinch to substitute if you want to use screws and washers but they will rust out sooner and need replacing before deckmates or another screw of equal outside durability. Small box of electrical staples will be about $3 -$5 bucks and will hold like a champ. Just the washers can run you more than that with the other setup, good screws and washers can become very expensive, hardware pricing is on the rise due to up and coming 3rd world countries trying to get their cut of the resources.

Back
Top Bottom