What size netting for a top?

dainironfoot

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
woodburn, Oregon
OK, so after a few pheasants injuries on the wire top of my pen I have decided to replace it with netting. My question is is the 2" stuff too large for Amhersts and Goldens? It seems a little cheaper than the 1". Also, how is the 2" against predators? Thanx a bunch guys!

I prefer the 1" over the 2" to keep starlings & sparrows out. It also depends on your snow-load as well. With lots of snow, 2" might be your best bet. The 1" has more surface area and can gather lots of snow or ice, sag and and break. There are few ways around it - stagger your posts or make the posts movable. When it was in the forecast, I would remove the posts holding up the net and the just fall to the ground. The sides of the aviary were at least 6 to 7', so the birds still had areas that they get around in and usually it was only for a few hours.

Another concern with 2", if you let the parents rear their own, the young birds can fly at a few days old and can squeeze through. I've also seen birds fly up and go right through it (seems the mesh was thinner).

When it comes to predators, it really doesn't matter the size - some are going to go right through it!!

Dan

We have used 2x2 nettling in our pheasant runs with no Aerial predators getting through.
We use 1x1 on our Quail runs.
I prefer the 2x2 over all, as we get heavy snow loads here.
The snow falls through easily, so the top does not sag.
The 1x1 has a tendency to collect snow and ice causing quite a bit of weight to accumulate.

Back
Top Bottom