What size pen for full time keeping?

Number21

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I recently bought some undeveloped property in North Carolina, and in the summer time the bugs are a big problem. So many of them! I want to get some ducks to help eat the bugs. I've had them before and they almost made the bugs disappear in the area they were in.

The property has a creek and I intend on building a small pond connected to the creek so it stays clean for the ducks. I want to build a pen around this to keep them in more or less full time. What size pen would I need for 2-3 (maybe more?) ducks to live in full time, with a pond inside? I plan on putting netting on top to keep out predators.

My other backyard ducks lived in a little duck house and they needed to be put in their house every night and let out every morning. They had the run of the yard during the day. I don't want to have to do that anymore, I need a place where they can stay 24/7 without too much work. More like farm animals instead of pets.

What size enclosure do they need to be comfortable full time?

Last edited:
I recently bought some undeveloped property in North Carolina, and in the summer time the bugs are a big problem. So many of them! I want to get some ducks to help eat the bugs. I've had them before and they almost made the bugs disappear in the area they were in.

The property has a creek and I intend on building a small pond connected to the creek so it stays clean for the ducks. I want to build a pen around this to keep them in more or less full time. What size pen would I need for 2-3 (maybe more?) ducks to live in full time, with a pond inside? I plan on putting netting on top to keep out predators.

My other backyard ducks lived in a little duck house and they needed to be put in their house every night and let out every morning. They had the run of the yard during the day. I don't want to have to do that anymore, I need a place where they can stay 24/7 without too much work. More like farm animals instead of pets.

What size enclosure do they need to be comfortable full time?
What your looking for is a waterfowl aviary! If you do some research they are awesome areas where your ducks can grow happy and healthy, completely safe from predators.

Back
Top Bottom