What size pop door and how do you access it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 09northernchick, May 17, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    How do you open your pop door? From outside the run, inside the run or inside the coop? Manual or pulley system?

What is a good size pop door?

Thanks!!

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    depends on the size of your chickens a little bit, my door is 18x18 I think and could have been smaller but being new I couldnt visualize how big they would be. I close my door by hand, slide a piece of wood over it to close it.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a pretty primitive pulley system that opens the door from outside the run. Also attached to the system is a separate pull that drops a long, heavy bolt across the door to prevent anything from accessing the door once it's closed. My door is pretty small- maybe 8x12". Just big enough for a chicken (or 2, if they're in a hurry) to fit through. I found that the ability to open the door from outside the run was essential because in the morning when I set the chickens loose from their secure house they practically ran me down to get to the feed dish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by