What size pop door

Not the answer I was hoping for when I opened this to read, I think my dogs can get through an opening that size. I need to go look I don't think the pop door on the chicken house at dads is that big but I could be wrong.
I made my pop door 12" x 12". A Midget White tom turkey (heritage size, not broad breasted) had no problems using it.

Since we like photos, here's that turkey in display mode. He looks bigger than he was.
Display.JPG

I don't know how big your dogs are but they can get through some pretty small holes. When I had a tractor my nest had an 8" wide and 6" high opening. Full sized hens had no trouble getting through that. Growing up on the farm one of my chores was to gather the eggs. I found some hens laying in really tight places. They can manage better than many people seem to think. Growing up on a farm with free ranging broody hens raising chicks and hens hiding nests allowed me to see what was possible.

I made my pop door about 12" off of the ground level. My grown full-sized flock had no trouble just stepping up there. When I had small chicks with the flock I used bricks and pavers inside and out to make steps. Some people might be surprised at what a 3 day old chick can manage if a broody hen tells it to. But when they are that young these steps are built up a little more.

Hinged door.JPG

Back
Top Bottom