What size roost for turkey?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello. I have a new to me 9 month old
turkey and I’d like to put a roost up for him in his run. Should it be round or flat? What size diameter or width? Thank you!

90FD9C40-3E25-4AAA-A1A2-2D8A944578E7.jpeg
What variety is he?

I believe he is a barred black, based on what a helpful person on here told me. Here is Papi. He is our first turkey. We’ve just had him a week and we are enjoying him so much. We have him as a pet. I am trying to find him a couple of lady friends. View attachment 1976369View attachment 1976369View attachment 1976369

Hello. I have a new to me 9 month old
turkey and I’d like to put a roost up for him in his run. Should it be round or flat? What size diameter or width? Thank you!
The roosts for my turkeys are made from 4" diameter "corral poles". Some of them try to roost on the 3" wide frame holding up the flight netting. It is about 12' off the ground. It would be their favorite roosting spot if I did not diligently keep them chased off of it.

Their roosts are at staggered heights from 3' to 6' off of the ground. For a turkey that has not been allowed to roost previously, just setting a bale of hay or straw on the ground can be a simple and easy first roost.

The roosts for my turkeys are made from 4" diameter "corral poles". Some of them try to roost on the 3" wide frame holding up the flight netting. It is about 12' off the ground. It would be their favorite roosting spot if I did not diligently keep them chased off of it.

Their roosts are at staggered heights from 3' to 6' off of the ground. For a turkey that has not been allowed to roost previously, just setting a bale of hay or straw on the ground can be a simple and easy first roost.

Thank you for the tip on the straw bale. I definitely think he needs to be taught and given a chance to learn to roost. Last night I put a really low little small wooden outdoor side table in there and set him on it and he fell off.

I actually happen to already have had a straw bale in there and he has never gotten up on it. I am thinking I will try picking him up and setting him on it today and maybe he will stay on it. I’m hoping he will like it enough to get up there on his own the next time. I am thinking I will put some meal worms on there to sweeten up the situation.

I put a big tree branch In there last night, after you told me how yours like to sleep in their run rather than their coop. I though maybe just stepping onto it would be a good start but he had nothing to do with it.

I’m also thinking of maybe just trying putting a couple logs on there for now, until we can build him a roost.

I sure do appreciate all your help and information R2elk. If you have any other ideas to help me teach him to roost I’d love to hear. I feel like he needs to learn to jump and to stay on once he gets there.

Another thought- I’m hoping that worst case, if I can’t get him to roost, when I find lady turkeys, they will show him the ropes.

Last edited:
Another thought- I’m hoping that worst case, if I can’t get him to roost, when I find lady turkeys, they will show him the ropes.
It is very likely that seeing other turkeys on a roost will encourage him to roost also. Getting him up off of the ground will help prevent sores from developing around his keel bone.

Back
Top Bottom