What size should domonique eggs be?

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
I have never owned domonique chickens and collected their eggs before. I have 6 white leghorn pullets that lay 6 eggs almost every day. Most of them are in the 2 1/4 ounce range which is a LARGE egg at least. I am really surprised that my domoniques eggs are so small! They average from 1 1/2 ounce to 1 5/8 ounce! They have only been laying for a couple of weeks but NO COMPARISON to white leg horns. How big SHOULD a domonique egg be? Or at least how big should I expect at maturity?

They have only been laying for a couple of weeks but NO COMPARISON to white leg horns.
Have the leg horns been laying the same amount of time?
How old are these birds, in weeks?

They will increase in size, but will not equal the size of the Leghorn eggs. The upside to this is that they generally have a longer productive life span.
Ditto Dat.

Dominiques are 25 weeks old and white leghorns are about 33 weeks. As stated above dom's have only been laying for about 2 weeks. So white leghorns are about 2 months older.
..and have been laying much longer(they usually start younger).
That would be part of the reason of the size difference.
Dom's egg size will increase, could take weeks or months to get to 'their' full size,
but as said before probably never be as big as the leghorns.

I have never owned domonique chickens and collected their eggs before. I have 6 white leghorn pullets that lay 6 eggs almost every day. Most of them are in the 2 1/4 ounce range which is a LARGE egg at least. I am really surprised that my domoniques eggs are so small! They average from 1 1/2 ounce to 1 5/8 ounce! They have only been laying for a couple of weeks but NO COMPARISON to white leg horns. How big SHOULD a domonique egg be? Or at least how big should I expect at maturity?

2 1/4 oz is actually xlg. My Dominiques have generally laid in the 2oz range at maturity (lg), with half of my girls laying 2 1/4 oz pretty regularly and one that is usually closer to 1 3/4 oz (Med). I’ve never gotten a jumbo (2.5 oz) from any of my Dominiques, but I have gotten jumbos from my Speckled Sussex. That’s the largest egg of all my breeds. Hamburgs are the smallest. Lucky to hit 1 3/4 oz with them, and they’ve been laying for several months

If my doms end up laying 2 oz eggs I will be happy. Mediums just don't seem to be worth all the trouble...but then again, I give most of my eggs away anyway. This is certainly a NON-PROFIT organization! Hah!

Back
Top Bottom