what size to build nest boxes for Brahma'a

twisted-acres-farm

selfie of Curly Sue and me.
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Dickinson, North Dakota
Ok this has probably been covered but I sure can't seem to find the post. Will be getting Brahma's this spring and I know that the nest boxes in the coop I have are going to be to small!! Was thinking of making the new boxes 16 x16 x16 or is this to large plan on putting them about waist high with a ramp and rail also will be double decking them 1 row on top of other. As for a roost system I have some loft over landscape timbers was think of using them to build the roosts hinged on wall side and hook and chain on other end to adjust angle and get out of way when cleaning out coop. Any advise would be appreciated so I don't have to build twice. Thanks Scott

How many birds do you have or plan on getting? One box per 4 to 6 birds is plenty. We used two boxes, one big box with divider, for seven birds and 90% of the time they only used one.

Brahmas are big but there is a lot of feather there. I've been amazed to see two pullets cuddling in with our injured rooster in a 13X13" nesting box. That's 3 nine month old Orpington packed in to sleep.

Half my flock is light brahmas - our nest boxes are12x12 to 12x14. They seem to actually prefer the smaller boxes and I have actually seen 3 of them jammed into one nest box when egg-laying time hits. No need to go 16x16!

Plan on starting with a straight run of 100 chicks. Would ideally like to winter about 45 to 50 mixed age hens and a few roos. Hopefully they will be "self-sustaining" and raise their own replacements and a few for eating. Was thinking about ordering from Cackel Hatchery yes/no??

Im expecting 2-4 brahmas chicks to raise. I have 12 mi ed variety of. Chickens now. Since i cant mix. Igger birxs aith babies. I was wondering what kind of coop to keep my baby brahmas in.
Sincd they have war. Feathers, do they sfill need hear u. The cold months.
Thanks, Chris R.

Back
Top Bottom