what sort of chickens would I get?

TGWTHF

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
South Wales, UK
from our Lavender pekin bantum cockerel, and our white Silkie hen, would the chicks be like a 50/50 of lavender and whites? and would it also be like 50/50 on what kind of feathers they had? EG silkie feathers or pekin feathers
please and thanks cos i'm rather interested in what kinds of chicks we'd get from them :D

also if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.. I thought this would come under Genetics and such :F sorry...

Over here in the USA they are called silkichins. They will have hard feathers, and should have 5 toes and somewhat of a crest, and be broody as all get out.

Over here in the USA they are called silkichins. They will have hard feathers, and should have 5 toes and somewhat of a crest, and be broody as all get out.

Are you sure that isn't cochilks?
wink.png

Anyways, there is no predicting the colour other than there are unlikely to be either white or lavender offspring. Lavenders must inherit the lav gene from each parent to be lavender, and unless the white has lavender in its background, the presence of the gene would be unusual. Whites also must have a both parents contribute a white gene. It is more likely as white is the original colour of silkies; however, colours have been bred in for decages, so it is still not what you should expect. One other thing that white will bring into play is a whole bunch of unknown genes. White is a switch that turns off the creation of pigment, so you do not see colours or patterns that are genetically present in the bird. When you remove white by breeding to a different colour, those colours and patterns pass on and can express.

doesn't breeding them to each other lead to offspring that isn't as strong as normal ones?, either way, thanks for clearing that up for me guys, it sucks that i'll have to wait a lot longer to get the silkie looking ones that I want, but I guess I have no choice haha

doesn't breeding them to each other lead to offspring that isn't as strong as normal ones?, either way, thanks for clearing that up for me guys, it sucks that i'll have to wait a lot longer to get the silkie looking ones that I want, but I guess I have no choice haha

Assuming that they are apparently healthy and have no obvious flaws, a generation or two won''t hurt. Alternatively, you could get unrelated birds to have multiple initial breeding pairs, resulting in sets of F1s that are unrelated, then breed birds from one set with birds from another.

I guess, and I couldn't do the unrelated thing as we don't have that much room, our backyard is pretty big, but with the 7 pekins and 1 silkie in there it looks tiny XD, our coop isn't really big enough for many more either, its a large coop but from what people on here are saying its rather small... so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out :p

also, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me how i could get them :D I'm new to the whole chicken thing and most of ours are my sister but i love them and I wanted to breed them but i love the silkies and not the pekins haha, so thanks it means a lot that someones prepared to spend the time explaining :D

Back
Top Bottom