what sort of housing do ducks need?

I have 7 runner ducklings. What do you all recommend for a housing situation? We live in Idaho and it can get well below freezing in the winter and in the 90's in the summer. We also have 50 chickens and raise a few turkey each year along with a few pet turkeys. Just looking for suggestions...

I have 7 runner ducklings. What do you all recommend for a housing situation? We live in Idaho and it can get well below freezing in the winter and in the 90's in the summer. We also have 50 chickens and raise a few turkey each year along with a few pet turkeys. Just looking for suggestions...
welcome-byc.gif
this might get you started in the right direction. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/178796/what-does-your-duck-house-look-like depending on what your going to let them do are they going to free range or will they be penned? and for water most of us haven't be blessed with a pond so we use kiddy pools up to stock tanks, and as for winter, as long as they have a secure place to go at night to get out of the weather they should be fine, But ventilation is very important, as you well know having chickens already. Secure is the important word here, they need to be kept secure at night.

My new ducklings love being out amongs the chickens, but we lock them up separately at night so far. I lock the chickens in their house each night and tote the ducks back to their pen in the garage. When they are a bit older I am hoping to pen them all in together in the hen house and fence area. Can ducks jump/fly up to the nesting boxes or perches when they need to? If not, we may have to build them a separate house. We're new to the "duck business" so any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom