What species of chicken do you think this is? Why am I not getting any eggs after a year?

dbessire

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 6, 2012
Vidor TX
I have had this chicken since February of last year. I was told they were female Americanos. To date I have received no eggs. Any suggestions can anyone verify that these are definitely hens.

Attachments

• 2C996B6D-5CD5-4C9E-9134-CB9758A919B6.jpeg
    2C996B6D-5CD5-4C9E-9134-CB9758A919B6.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 16
  • A021FC36-F06D-41A3-918D-FB7410F35D63.jpeg
    A021FC36-F06D-41A3-918D-FB7410F35D63.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 16
@Pretty Birds had a good suggestion to look and see where they might be hiding eggs. Their combs look nice and red so I don't think it's a health issue. Do you know how old they are? Do they have nest boxes? What food are they eating? Do they have access to a calcium source (like oyster shell) if they aren't on layer feed? Is there plenty of light where they are if they aren't free ranging?

Agreed with above posters, they do all appear to be hens... light brahmas or light Sussex for the white ones, probably a production cross on the red ones such as Red stars or Isa browns. They should be laying if they have light available, though this time of year is definitely the slowest time for laying. If they aren't using provided nest boxes then it is time for an Easter egg hunt.
Light Sussex and brahmas are not the best layers, maybe 3 a week average and less in winter and molt times, the red ones should be much more productive unless they are older, they usually slow down at 3+ years.

Are they free ranged? If so, they could be laying their eggs in a "hiding" spot.
This^^^
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

@dbessire here's some tips on how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom