What spider is that?

Pics
The South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Itslegs can reach up to one foot (30 centimeters) and it can weight up to 6 oz. (170 grams).
And...
Can a Goliath Birdeater kill you?
If these hairs embed in an animal's skin or eyes, they cause itching and discomfort. Although venomous with inch-long fangs, the Goliath Birdeater's bite will not kill a person. It will, however hurt quite a bit, and has been described as somewhere between the pain of a wasp sting and hammering a nail into your hand.

The South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Itslegs can reach up to one foot (30 centimeters) and it can weight up to 6 oz. (170 grams).
And...
If these hairs embed in an animal's skin or eyes, they cause itching and discomfort. Although venomous with inch-long fangs, the Goliath Birdeater's bite will not kill a person. It will, however hurt quite a bit, and has been described as somewhere between the pain of a wasp sting and hammering a nail into your hand.
So DONT go to South America!

And...
The BITE may not kill me, but I wouldn’t have to worry about that. Just the SIGHT of it would probably do so!

View attachment 2347181
From Sri Lanka, apparently. I think she wanted a pink one but this was what was available. She ended up donating it to her school.
I did not know that Tarantulas come in different colors. Nice spider, but just stay where you are, i have seen too many bad spider movies, starting with Tarantula...

Last edited:
We have one on our back porch this year. Sadly, they drop off when the weather gets chilly. I've read they don't have the best eyesight, and are supposed to be gentle enough you can hand feed them.. but because of the eyesight they can accidentally nip you. I love seeing them every year.
I remember back in Germany, one of my friends had a similar looking spider as a pet, it was called a »Golden Orb Weaver« and he paid a fortune to get her.

Back
Top Bottom