What started out as just 2, turned into....

thegoldengirls

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central NY
Well, let me tell ya. Our local farm/produce place gets shipments of chicks every week or so. Of course, we always go and look, but I manage to talk myself and my kids out of them by saying.. "oh, but they don't have the Jersey Giant I've always wanted."

Unfortunately, our last visit started out with "Mom, Mom..they have Giants!"

After some thought, I finally decided on 2 Black Giant chicks. I was pretty happy.

Then my husband suggested a 3rd, in case something happend to one. So, I chose a Barred Rock, for some variety.
Again, the hubby chimes in with.. "but that one will be lonely because the Giants will be bigger". So, I said, okay I'll get a Dixie Rainbow.
Once again, "this one will be lonely because it's the only one of it's kind and keep in mind if one doesn't make it, I'll only have one.

So, to have some variety, and ensure that I end up with at least 2 of each, I ended up with 3 Black Giants, 3 Barred Rock, and 3 Dixie Rainbow.

An hour after we got them home, my kids found one dead. I go look, and it's a Barred Rock. I noticed it had a poo butt, so I'm thinking it was already not well and the short drive may have stressed it.
By this time though, the farm place was closed, so I went back the next morning.
I explained that one of the 9 I purchased the day before had died and I just wanted one to replace it.
But, they don't sell just one, you have to take at least 2. It didn't matter that I already had some.

So, yes... I had to take 2. Not wanting to get another ill one, I chose to get 2 Partridge Rock.

Soooo, after all that... What started out as just 2, turned into 10!
What was I thinking!!??
th.gif

(Truth be told, I'm doing a happy dance, but don't tell my hubby!
yesss.gif
)

Last edited:
That's pretty funny!

I'm getting 4 chicks this week. Only 4, that's it. Unless of course a 5th one jumps in the car with us. 5 is such an awkward number though. 6 is a better number. No no, we're getting 4. But I make no promises :)

Hahaha!
Gardengal,
You'll have to come back with an update on how many you end up with.

Same thing happened to me last year when we got ducklings. I wanted a pair... that's all!!
I now have 4, and 3 ended up being males. So, every day I put the female and her guy in one pen, and the other two in the bachelor pen. I'm still not permanently setup for them!

Funny, I seem to have the same addiction to chocolate... hmmm...
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well, I was looking at chicks online and saw that the minimum order was 10 chicks and thought, that makes sense! Then I reminded myself, 4 chicks, 4 chicks :D

Back
Top Bottom