What State would You Choose?

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Hey guys, looking for some input.
frow.gif
Husband and are looking for a state where:

1. Land is available for affordable prices. We are only looking at about 5-10 acres for this next move, so it doesn't need to be ranch country or anything. However, it can't be like parts of Virginia, where suburban/planned communities are eating up farmland. I so do not want to wake up to a Target outside my window. A place that can support lush greenery is preferred but definitely not required.

2. The weather is hot and winters are mild. Or, I should say, my cold-fearing husband is looking for this. I'm fine saying good-bye to the snow, but I melt in humidity. Virginia was too humid for me. So, we're looking for a drier heat.

3. Water rights aren't likely to be a severe issue in the coming future. We'd like to hear about any existing issues. Somewhere like Nevada seems like it is destined for increasing water right issues.
4. Ticks are not found in great abundance. Seriously, I have a phobia of ticks.
hide.gif
Keep in mind that I am a magnet for anything with more than four legs. In Virginia, my husband only ended up with two ticks on him. I was constantly pulling them off me.

5. Exotic animals are not an impossibility to own. I am not speaking of tigers/bears/etc. but rather exotic animals not considered dangerous. I am absolutely fine with obtaining permits, but I am not fine jumping through a million hoops to own something like a giant rodent (ie. patagonian cavy). I am not looking for opinions on owning exotics (start a new thread for that), I am looking for information/opinions on ease of ownership within a given state. I hear Michigan and Ohio are best, but they are too cold for my husband. It's a shame, as we absolutely adore those two states. The gorgeous Vermont and Maine similarly got crossed out due to cold winters. I also have heard mention of Florida for exotic pets, but it is way too humid for me. Just driving through during *winter* about killed me. X)

6. Is not under the thumb of overbearing state or church rule. Over-legislation of citizens drives me nuts in general. If I'm going to be selling a product or starting a business, I am fine with being heavily regulated. I am not fine with my daily actions as an individual being heavily regulated. Utah would be an example of what I am not looking for.

These are the states we are mainly considering (largely based on climate):

1. Tennessee: We both love, love, love the people, the atmosphere, the land. The only thing holding us back is that it may be too humid and too full of ticks for me. I don't remember it being too humid when we used to visit, but it may have been during the colder months. Never got a tick while there, but we weren't exactly tromping through the grasses.
2. Texas: Concerned about water rights and drought issues.
3. Southern California: I have relatives spread out in CA, and it seems as though S. CA is better for farming. Mainly have concerns about exotic pet ownership.
4. Oklahoma: I know absolutely nothing about this state other than it looks to be in the right climate belt.
5. Arkansas: See above.
6. Kentucky: Curious about how cold the winters get. Have visited before, and like the general culture and land.
7. Montana and Colorado are both gorgeous...but I think the winters will be way too cold/snowy for my husband. Yes?

So, please chime in about what states/areas sound like they might fit the bill. :D More detailed posts get more gold stars. Also, let me know if you've personally lived in the state you recommend/don't recommend.

Last edited:
StarLover: 110 of dry heat is cool with me. :D Have you been to Kentucky at all? What do you like about it?

Chubby: It depends on what is being legislated. Some people make it sound like it is pretty loose on regulation of the individual (medical pot even, proposals for same-sex marriage, etc.) and some make it sound like it is heavily regulated, but I haven't really seen any individual examples outside of businesses being regulated (which I'm personally fine with). So, I'm hoping someone can shed some more light on the subject. Also, do you live there/have you lived there?

Kentucky is awesome. Landprices are very reasonable, taxes and cost of living. You got rolling hills, flat area as well as mountains and hollers. People are friendly , they might look at out of staters a little funny way back in the appalachians, but all mounatin folk are weary of strangers. There are four seasons and none too crazy, reminds of germany. I mentioned before that i love the area around Louisville Ft Knox. My fav counties are Meade and Hardin. Out in the country and close enough to work in the big city. In south eastern Ky around Corbin you can also find cheap land but the jobs are a bit more scarce there.

I have experience in California and Colorado (Ohio, too, but I was 5 when we moved, so that can't possible count).

I lived in Southern CA up until 4 years ago when I moved here to Colorado Springs, CO. In CA, throughout my life, I lived in Glendale, La Cresenta, Palmdale, Lancaster, San Marcos, Vista, Carlsbad (directly across the street from the beach), Temecula, and Lake Elsinore. AVOID CA. Some people like the warm weather, but 122 degrees is no joke (in Lake Elsinore). It's expensive to live there. Housing taxes are through the roof. More rules and taxes seem to be thought up daily just so they can survive. CA is broke. We're here in CO alone...all of our family is in CA and they are all heading out here one by one. Even my mother-in-laws company that she works for (Outreach Marketing) is moving here because the state put such tight regulations on their business that they are getting sued left and right. Gas prices are high in CA. We're paying $3.05 a gallon here and my Mom, in Lake Elsinore, is paying $4.10 a gallon. I really have nothing good to say about CA. It eats people alive and only those of us who didn't own homes could escape.

Colorado. It's the place to be. The cold weather is a trick. Before I moved here, I used to hear stuff on the news and would check the weather from CA and panic. It sounded so cold. Our families were concerned we'd get snowed in and not be able to get anywhere (the snow usually melts the same day). Once we moved here, I didn't own a winter jacket for 2 years. The only reason I finally cracked and bought one was because I was walking my kids to and from school. Jeans and a hoodie are all you usually need to get from your car into the store or from your house into your car. You adapt insanely fast. The weather is pretty moody and I enjoy that. It means that if you have a day where you think "is it REALLY 10 degrees outside?!" a few days later you're saying, "great pigeons! It's 60 degrees out!! Open the windows, it's HOT!" It does get hot here starting late May, early June. Mostly in the 80's and 90's through the end of July. My first garden this year was amazing...didn't think I would be able to garden in CO. Thought it would be too cold. We've had quite a few 104 degree days, but usually they are followed by 70-80 degree days, so you don't suffer long. We live on the south east side of town...we don't have land. We're only about 2 miles from the airport. Out past the airport (under, behind, over and above) are where you'll find land. My in laws just bought a place in Peyton...it's 18 miles from me. Farmland, for sure! So Peyton, Falcon, Ellicot, Yoder, Black Forest...all in the general area, are not too pricey, and you end up with an amazing view of the mountains. On the south east side, I feel we get ripped off in the snow department. It misses us every time. We're in a valley. Our school district doesn't even allow for snow days because we don't need them. Live on the south east side and when it snows you'll be SHOCKED. Some places get tons of snow, but again, it's a trick. I'm sure Colorado has some deal with the media. "scare them all! we don't want anymore people to know how awesome CO is!!"

The difference for us between the two states is that in CA we couldn't even afford a mobile home and here we bought a regular home in 6 months. My housing taxes are under $600 a year (on a $119,000 home on about a 1/4 acre lot).

My favorite thing about Colorado is that we have four seasons. I really enjoy seeing every little blade of grass grow. I love watching leaves turn red and orange (in CA, you aren't sure when fall came and went. the leaves are there and then one day, you notice they are gone, and you're not sure how it happened).

My utilities are fairly cheap (compared to CA). My highest bill ever for gas, electric, sewer and water was $245 (and I have electric appliances, so mine is probably pricey compared to someone with gas hookups). In the summer, that whole bill goes down to about $140. My car registration was $64 this year on a 2002 Grand Prix (no smog! Avoid CA for this reason alone). My auto insurance is the same as it was in CA ($120, full coverage,but mine here is better than what I had in CA, with all the extras). Food is cheaper here than CA. Schools are good (do the research for sure though, if you have children, because some school districts aren't doing good).

I don't know a lot about the specific concerns you have, but I can tell you I would never live anywhere else. I'm sold on Colorado. Any questions, I'll answer the best I can! Need info on things? Let me know if I can help!

Turney: I have an awesome friend in Texas, and she has her vote in for TX too. I haven't heard of the Palestine area, and will have to look it up.

Conny: another one for Kentucky. I found the people in Kentucky and Tennessee to be super enjoyable! :D

MomPigeon: Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed response! Housing prices and such sounded kind of scary in CA, and it's really helpful to know that others have found cost of living to be too high. I love it when we need to drive through Colorado and can't wait to tell my husband about the snow-scarce southeast.

Quote:
lau.gif

Quote: Thanks so much for all the help! I can pretty much guarantee I'll be taking you up on the offer of more info once I figure out what to ask. XD

Chickened: I love Oregon, and have a lot of family and friends out that way. They seem pretty exotic-friendly as I know of some really rare, rare animal breeders there such as for sloths. I've tried to convince my husband that winter jackets will keep him so warm and toasty...but with no luck. :( May also have something to do with his in-laws being one state over from Oregon. ;)

Back
Top Bottom