What State would You Choose?

Haha, I didn't even notice the snow! Too focused on happy dog and happy kids. :D I have to say Mompidge...you've put the CO bug in us. Husband really, really appreciated all the details you typed.

I am determined to suck everyone in one by one.
big_smile.png

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_state.php?s=kyWell it doesnt say anything about the cavys and the Cacomistle. They are so unusual that they didnt mention them, good thing. My husband wants a pygmy marmoset when he retiresHe also checked if you can have dormice as pets.. We are a bit- if it follows you home, wont eat us or the other animals and isnt dangerous , you may keep it if we have room- people. I wouldnt mind owning a pudu or fallow deer.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_state.php?s=ky
Jen:
ep.gif
Oh my goodness, that is rent for us. We definitely could not afford that! CO is sounding more and more attractive after hearing about it not always getting snow in the southeastern area.

Chubby: $5, seriously? Politics aside...or because of...it is sounding like CA is waaay too expensive for us.

3G: Thanks! All this input is so very helpful in planning where we should visit before moving.

Mom'sFolly: Ergh, I was afraid that water rights would be the big issue, and the 'right of capture' law sounds just...ergh. Really too bad, as they seem like a hub for exotics, have land, and seem to not nose too much into other people's business.

Crazy: TN is just crazy pretty. You aren't kidding about the trash being picked up. Dollywood reminded me of European theme parks, in that they kept it clean!

Conny: Some of my long time want-to-owns are opposum (captive bred, not wild caught), ringtail Cat/cacomistle, my husband is the one who wants a sloth, we are rodent people so we both want a capybara, patagonian cavy (it cracks me up how much they look like my blue heeler!), Argentine or Columbian black and white tegu (don't think you need a permit for those though), one of the large Indian squirrel species if possible, a hyrax, grasshopper mice, and the list goes on, but those have been our top picks. One of my artist friend's recently became the first American to *successfully* import a domestic Russian fox. The importer for the first few foxes ended up being not...legal, and they ended up in a Texas sanctuary. If she reports good things on temperament and future imports, I'll be considering them. And YAKS! I love royals, but would really like a cow/yak hybrid pair for packing. We have names picked out. Soba and Ety, short for Yakkesoba and Yakety Yak. X) I think all our major bird desires do not require permits. Most of them are pigeon breeds, haha.

Last edited:
Stay away from California. I lived there most of my life and I relocated to southern Missouri a few months ago. Regulations are strict in California and taxes, gasoline, and land prices are high. I picked Missouri because I wanted to move to a place with four seasons, that was economical, pretty, and had fireflies. After a lot of time on the internet I found that Missouri seemed to have the most bang for the buck as far as real estate is concerned. You can do a lot to control ticks by getting guineas. They gobble them up. I can't stand high humidity either. That's why we have central heat and air. By the way, the dogs got ticks in California, too. So did I.

Thanks Cassie! CA is sounding like it isn't the place for us. A shame, because it is so gorgeous! Whenever I stop a movie and go, "QUICK! Where was it filmed!?", it always seems to be CA or TN. :D How is the weather in southern Missouri? It's one state I've never even driven through and no nothing about.

Conny:

Quote: Do it! I work near them, and my husband has worked with them in a lab. In a group, they are not house-suitable. They projectile-spray-pee over anyone they don't know and mark everything. As a single pet, I hear that they are great. The PIs and techs have had some they had to bring home to raise, and they said they were super snuggly, didn't mark if kept alone, bonded strongly to you, and were just a joy to have. They also said you couldn't pay them enough to keep two or more in their home though, only the singletons. The diet contains a lot of fresh food, but I don't know, I find preparing diets to be fun myself. The noises they make sound like a rainforest soundtrack, and are just the neatest. Pygmy marmoset is the species we have (most have common marmosets, not sure how they compare). You may even be able to adopt retired marmosets if you can find the right connection and have the right permits.

Pudus are so neat! I really like the muntjacs too that are a bit more common, and people seem to really enjoy them as pets. And fallows are some of my favorites. They come in so many colors, and their antlers are just amazing!

StarLover: 110 of dry heat is cool with me. :D Have you been to Kentucky at all? What do you like about it?

Chubby: It depends on what is being legislated. Some people make it sound like it is pretty loose on regulation of the individual (medical pot even, proposals for same-sex marriage, etc.) and some make it sound like it is heavily regulated, but I haven't really seen any individual examples outside of businesses being regulated (which I'm personally fine with). So, I'm hoping someone can shed some more light on the subject. Also, do you live there/have you lived there?

Oh yeah, we used to live in Kentucky, and we visit there every year. It's amazing. Just amazing. Perfect weather, wonderful country...it's awesome.

I can say for a fact that TN is very humid in the summer gets up to 100's with 80% humidity and in the winter can easily hit the teens (except this year). Ticks are only bad if you have a lot of cedar trees I believe near you and tall grasses. (can always poison your yard kills all ticks and chiggers.) Low taxes, does not have an income tax, and land is cheep in my opinion.

Also TN experiences all seasons. West is very flat, middle has more hills, and east has a lot of mtns.

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks for sharing your input Star! Any place someone loves going back and back again to visit is somewhere I should check out.

Quote: Matthew....just
th.gif
So...humid...

We've been looking into Arkansas and N. Carolina because they both are pretty exotic friendly. I hear the higher elevation areas mean less humidity, which is great for me...but I imagine they are also colder, and that makes me sad for my husband. Gotta say, it's pretty hard to find heat without humidity without water right issues. X)

Corbin Ky lies at 1079ft and they still get summers with days in the high 90s and low 100s. and they just voted and became a "wet" city!!!!

Thanks for sharing your input Star! Any place someone loves going back and back again to visit is somewhere I should check out.

Matthew....just
th.gif
So...humid...

We've been looking into Arkansas and N. Carolina because they both are pretty exotic friendly. I hear the higher elevation areas mean less humidity, which is great for me...but I imagine they are also colder, and that makes me sad for my husband. Gotta say, it's pretty hard to find heat without humidity without water right issues. X)

Husband and I have also been racking our brains for the best state for us. We have it narrowed down to Colorado, though we like green, a lot of green, and big trees, so we also have Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ohio isn't so bad out East. Too expensive in the county we're in, property taxes for the city is crazy, and the school system that takes the bulk of that money isn't that great. We'd go towards Indiana for the land and access to the city without those taxes.

Ticks are everywhere seems like. Keep the grass short, keep the woods cleared out, release native birds like quail, pheasant, ect. Free range some guineas. We were thinking of also mulching the tree line with Cedar when we have a tree line.

We are also worried about water. Last year here we got a crazy amount of rain. Grass cutting was twice a week! The worse storms always miss us. Like this current rush of tornadoes went North and South from us. Seems to be the typical case with storms, severe types or snow. The snow barely grazes us. We might have gotten 4 inches total this year of snow. It's all rain.

All in all, this corner of Ohio isn't bad at all. We don't plan on owning any tigers. Land prices are high any where near a city, unless it's vertical hillside.

When you start seriously looking at properties, make sure you check and double check zoning and use restrictions. Just because you have 5 acres doesn't mean you can have a pony and chickens. Plenty of people around here have had to part with their goats or pot belly pig or chickens, even though they have acreage. We have more liberal chicken keeping rules in the city proper when compared to the villages and townships around.

Back
Top Bottom