What supplements & how often?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I use ACV in my chickens' water daily. I know at times they may need vitamins & electrolytes. I've used Vi-Tal before in extremely hot weather.

I've seen where some use Poly Vi-Sol drops & other things mentioned.

What supplements do you use? What's the purpose of it / benefits? In water, in feed, or directly to bird? Dosage? How often or when do you give it?

Thanks!

ETA: Oh, & if you give vitamins/electrolytes, do you leave off the ACV or mix them in there together?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    I use ACV or even white vinegar as an acidifier, and a vitamin/electrolyte mix during times of extreme heat or other stress. Since the particular electrolyte product I use has an acidifier in it, I don't use vinegar with it.

I used to add kelp to the commercial feed, but now I mix my own feed, so I guess it's an ingredient instead of a supplement. [​IMG]

3. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:How much of this would you put in 3 gallon waterer or even a gallon waterer? Do you also use it in extreme cold?

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    1/4 teaspoon per gallon. No, I don't use it in cold weather. I figure that their natural increase in overall food intake during cold weather is increasing vitamin and mineral intake anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by