What surprised you most

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
when you first started raising chickens???

For me, having hatched my first chicks in early February:

1) OMG these things grow/feather fast!! I had 2 day old chicks with pin feathers!!!!

2) How can nine 6 week old chicks go through 2 gallons of water in 3 DAYS!!! I can confirm no spillage. Did I get the rare guppy cross breed!!

3) These things are just eating machines. I'd hate to see the feed rate of the Cornish crosses.

The volume of what goes in one end

and OUT the other!!
sickbyc.gif

I also never expected to find them so cute and engaging!
love.gif

I started completely by accident. I never intended to have chickens. But when I did I was completely surprised by how affectionate they seemed to be with me. Now I'm addicted.

I agree with you Clay! Another thing that surprised me (I really didn't know, could be naive) thay can really damage a yard. I'm adusting to it because these chickens are addictive!! I love em.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Ok I'll give you both credit for how much I like them. I thought I'd get some chickens for eggs. I'd go out and collect eggs throw some food at them and some water. BUT.... I go out every night to talk to them and see how they are doing, worry about them on cold nights and buy treats for them... Dang I'm hooked.
tongue.png

I'm surprised by the way the KNOW when you do something stupid, like fall off the roof then give you that "your such a bonehead" look.

smack.gif

like when you double post......

Last edited:
1. I didn't know they could make so many different sounds. And that they always seem to be "talking".

2. I didn't know they'd be so darn CURIOUS. They are into everything.

3. I didn't know they'd be so entertaining to watch.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
and the poop

I think I enjoy them more then the dog...the chickens at least listen better then the dogs do

Back
Top Bottom