What takes a chicken during the day and leaves no feathers or blood behind?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Popcorn Mcgee, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Popcorn Mcgee

Popcorn Mcgee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    We let our free rangers out yesterday morning and our smallest, a polish hen, never came back to the roost last night. My husband looked all over our property in the rain last night. He looked everywhere they roam and found no evidence of an attack. No body, no feathers, no blood. We did see a stray cat in our front pasture hunting along side a brush pile. Will a cat carry away a small polish like that or should we be watching for a different type of predator?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a veteran hunting cat that stalks right along my chickens but never messed with them once they are adults...he tries to eat them as babies though....most cats won't mess with adult chickens

3. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    How small was the chicken? Bird of prey maybe?

4. cindi611

cindi611 New Egg

Oct 27, 2012
    I had the same thing happen a month or so ago. I have red production girls . They are about 11 month old. 6 out in the morning only 5 came to roost at night. Could find no feathers anywhere. A week before we had an eagle flying at roof top level around the house. It has been my belief that she was the culprit. Fox will keep coming back till none were left.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fox, coyote, bobcat are 'snatch and run' predators that frequently leave little or no evidence.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It also would not be hard for an eagle to snatch up a small hen and just keep trucking.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. Popcorn Mcgee

Popcorn Mcgee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    It was a very small blue polish hen. She just started laying about a month ago too:( Thanks for all the info. I think we'll keep them in their run for a while. Our neighbor said that they wandered pretty far into a neighboring field yesterday so what ever happened probably went down over there. We do have a pretty bad coyote population where we live, and they do travel through that field our neighbor spotted our chickens in.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You could well have your answer there.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sounds like the rain most likely washed away the evedince left behind so there is no telling what got her.

Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    when a cat does this it will be partially buried close by when it is completely gone with no trace it will be BOP or K-9's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by