What temp is okay outside at night for 6 week olds.

bendystar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
San Diego
Hi, My chicks are getting big! Their coop is just about finished and I'm ready to get them out of the house at night. They have been spending the days outside in a run for about a week. We're in San Diego and it's about 58-60 degrees at night here. Would they be alright to sleep in the "cold" like that or should I have a heat lamp out there with them. They have a lot of feathers and are looking like little chickens. They would be in an enclosed coop. Thanks for your help!

I think they would do fine with temps like that PROVIDED you wean from the heat light. As long as they are inside for a bit without a light (few days and nights) they should be good with the transition. The biggest issue I see is when people take chicks from the warmth of heat light and put them outside without heat light.

I'm in Los Angeles & I just put out my 2.5 week olds with my 3 month olds, but I turn on the heat lamp for them at night. I put the older chicks out here around 2.5 months without the heat lamp when they were feathered out. I transitioned them from my living room to the garage (with heat lamp), then in the garage without a heat lamp, than only outside in the day, and then outside all the time.

Back
Top Bottom