What temperature is too cold for Chickens?

4 bundles of Joy

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2021
GA
The weather person always says bring pets inside? What is too cold for my 1 year old chickens. This week it's expected to be in the 20's in GA. My girls seem cold even with plastic around the coop. One sound hoarse in the mornings. Any suggestions? They have the Orange Sentinel coop from Tractor supply. They free range most of the day. But sometimes they like to sleep on the roof of their coop.

Really depends on the breed but for most chickens 20 aint nothing given the proper coop design. That said pre made coops are rarely properly designed.

The suggested numbers they give you are often way over what is ideal for a happy chicken. The roosts are often way too low. Last but always there is not enough ventilation in pre mades. Any or all could be the cause of them picking the roof as a preferred roosting spot.

Hi, is your sweeter heater LED? Does it come with brooder plate? Did you buy at Tractor Supply or online. I see several types of heater. One of the comments stated heater should not be on the floor/ground. Another said, let it hang. Is it a two piece brooder and heater or just heater. Thank you

I have the same coop. I put plywood around the run portion and made the whole thing one big coop. I then added some more roosting bars and hung a sweeter heater from the ceiling. They seem much warmer and happier with the extra room.
Happy New year, what size heater do you have for the 4 chickens? I miss typed never did find sweet heater until I took out the word "water". I sent you several messages because I just found the sweet heater site. Can you share a picture of how you opened the coop. I think I may need to use the wall mount. Not sure how to hang from ceiling.
Thank you

Happy New year, what size heater do you have for the 4 chickens? I miss typed never did find sweet heater until I took out the word "water". I sent you several messages because I just found the sweet heater site. Can you share a picture of how you opened the coop. I think I may need to use the wall mount. Not sure how to hang from ceiling.
Thank you
Interesting thread. It is going to dip to 17 here in CT tonight. I injured my back over the summer while beginning a new coop for my girls and only got back to it late October with very little progress due to my injury. Right now my new coop which is the size of a shed needs just the hardware on the roof and the door and they can move it. One more week and I’ll be done with that. But of course now it’s the coldest week and I’m concerned. I do have them in a dog run that is completely tarp to all sides and roof, inside that I have one of the tractor supply type coops that is up off the ground with a good layer of litter and I have a blanket over the top of that but not blocking the ventilation. I’m hoping that works for them tonight I’m going to check for moisture in the morning. If there’s moisture I’m going to need to somehow make room in my garage for them for a few more days because it’s going to drop to almost 6° . But I do have a question I could put them in a dog cage in my other shed but it won’t be solid walls. Would that be better then what they are in now for the next few days? They are all 6 months old and have good fluff on them. I keep feeding them warm mash with extra goodies to keep their furnaces going. Thanks!!

I live in midwest..last year it was negative 28 temperature! My flock was fine..i use no auxillary heat. But i use deep litter method, which creates heat when composting. Top of coop is black, which draws heat, and it is wrapped in plastic and has 4inch walls..my flock is also acclimated to these temps..so i believe it depends on what they are used to and their overall health and the coop design.

I live in midwest..last year it was negative 28 temperature! My flock was fine..i use no auxillary heat. But i use deep litter method, which creates heat when composting. Top of coop is black, which draws heat, and it is wrapped in plastic and has 4inch walls..my flock is also acclimated to these temps..so i believe it depends on what they are used to and their overall health and the coop design.
Good to know. It fluctuates so much here. We had 30s. Then 20s. Then 40s (like today) but tomorrow will be 6 at night. This is New England weather. Nutty.

Back
Top Bottom