what temps can 5-7 weeks be outside?

MzBalance

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Ft. Thomas
I'm ready to put my girls outside...one could probably be as young as 5 weeks and the other 2 up to 7 weeks? What are the conditions for outside living?
thanks,
sharon

Not sure of the hard and fast rule.. But I've been putting my 4 and 5 week olds out for the last 2 weeks during the daytime hours only... when temps are above 65 and sunny...though they have gotten a couple of light spring "showers". I always bring them in at night and warm them up with the heat lamp in the evening. But if I'm not mistaken I read here that once they have their big bird feathers they should be able to go out and tolerate cooler evening temps...I just spoil them and bring them in.
smile.png

My chicks are about the same age. I even have some 3 weekers out too. I put them into the coop with a heat lamp. I have 28 chicks though so their body temp helps too. They've all been fine
smile.png
first night it was down to 35. I also had a second lamp out there but needed to bring it in for a hospital for the bantam chicks being picked on, but even without 2 they did great
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom