what the chances my hen has Marek's Disease

That could be Mareks, an injury, or curled toe paralysis from a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency. Usually both legs are affected, though. It won’t hurt to give some vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed and sprinkled over food. Here is a link about riboflavin deficiency:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

If you do put her down or she dies, if you contact your state vet ahead of time, you can get a necropsy to look for Mareks. Be sure to refrigerate the body, and take it or ship it on ice packs in a cooler. Here is a link to find your state poultry vet:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

This is the basic design of a chicken sling, and can be placed in a dog crate, hung, or placed into a box. It can be made to have food and water bowls attached:
upload_2018-10-8_20-9-24.jpeg

It is possible that she may have been injured or was eggbound, which could have caused her to be unable to stand. There can be rare cases where Mareks may affect a chicken, causing lameness, and then later they can be back to normal. Then the disease can strike again later on. If ahe has been exposed to Mareks, the whole flock has already been exposed, so no need to islolate her. Mareks disease can only best be diagnosed with a necropsy after the chicken dies. Hopefully, that isn’t going to happen. I would just let her go back to her flock and be observant for any changes.
One quick question, if my chicken did have Mareks diseas how long do they have the disease before they have symptoms? Also are they shedding the virus as soon as they are infected?

It usually takes at least 3 weeks after exposure for Mareks to show up. If she has Mareks the others have likely been exposed at the same time, unless she is new to you. I am not an expert on Mareks, so I would read the link which was written by a BYC member who has treated it and who has gathered a lot of info from good professional sources. Mareks is best diagnosed from examining tumor tissue and feather shafts in affected chickens during a necropsy.

It usually takes at least 3 weeks after exposure for Mareks to show up. If she has Mareks the others have likely been exposed at the same time, unless she is new to you. I am not an expert on Mareks, so I would read the link which was written by a BYC member who has treated it and who has gathered a lot of info from good professional sources. Mareks is best diagnosed from examining tumor tissue and feather shafts in affected chickens during a necropsy.
Thank you for your input!

I think I have a pullet with Marek's, she will most likely be going to the lab for a necropsy tomorrow, but in another post @rebrascora was very helpful re: Marek's, especially neurologic symptoms. Since your girl has bounced back so quickly I doubt it is Marek's but it's good to know what to look for in the future.

My pullet has been one-legged lame for about 10 days now. Her right leg is completely useless and it seems like she can't feel it although she has figured out how to pick it up out of the way to hop on the good foot. But despite continuing to eat and drink well enough, she spends most of her time sitting down and when I've tried to turn her out near the others, they don't enjoy her and instead ignore her or try to peck her. I had another pullet pass last week from some tumors so I think both had Marek's, just different manifestations.

Marek's is a beast... :barnie

While it's true that all have been exposed... a bird actively displaying symptoms... will NOT be allowed to stay and shed MORE live virus among my flock... so I will ALWAYS quarantine. And usually cull very quickly... depending on symptoms and situation.... meaning if I KNOW there could be another cause, like I SAW an injury or attack, or bullying away from feed, or I have fed excess treats or not used a formulated ration (never happen, but example).

Yes it takes at least 3 weeks for symptoms to display... but they can stay dormant for a VERY long time, or even show as slow wasting that some owners may never notice.

Most accurate information I have seen in one place and written in a manner many can understand...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I would NOT assume it wasn't Marek's... just because they were vaccinated (or EVEN if they showed a quick "recovery")... if they were taken outside before 3 weeks later could be an issue... but as with almost everything... it isn't 100% effective. :he

Hang in there... this is the ugly part of chicken keeping. But hopefully you will have MANY happy returns. :fl :hugs

Ok my 8 month old hen has been showing signs of mareks for over 3 weeks now and not getting better. She has leg paralysis and can't walk. We have tried vitamin c and deworming her. I'm sure it's mareks. She's eating and drinking but I don't think she will ever walk again. I have decided to put her down today. This sucks and I have been crying.

Ok my 8 month old hen has been showing signs of mareks for over 3 weeks now and not getting better. She has leg paralysis and can't walk. We have tried vitamin c and deworming her. I'm sure it's mareks. She's eating and drinking but I don't think she will ever walk again. I have decided to put her down today. This sucks and I have been crying.

So sorry for the loss of your chicken. Remember sometimes it’s better to let them go to a better place then to let them suffer. I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy.

So sorry for the loss of your chicken. Remember sometimes it’s better to let them go to a better place then to let them suffer. I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy.
Thanks for the support.
The hen was a mixed breed barred rock rooster over ISA Brown hen cross from our farm.
She was raised by one of our broody hens in February and made it in the cold Michigan winter.
We watched her hatch and grow up. Its tough.

Back
Top Bottom