What The Diffrence.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FirstTimer, Jan 10, 2010.

1. FirstTimer

FirstTimer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    Between St.Run,Cockerels, and Pullets... if you have read some of my post a couple months ago i was incubating chicken for a x-mas hatch.. 0% succsess =[.... so now im ordering new born baby chicks so i can feel beter about my self =].. but i was wondering if thats just male or female issue.

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Straight run are un-sexed, you might get 50/50 of each. Cockerels are young roosters, pullets are young hens.

3. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    St Run means you get whatever is available without them being sexed, so you will get whatever mix of roosters and hens were hatched. Cockerels means you will get (pretty much guaranteed) chicks that grow into roosters, and pullets means you will get (pretty much guaranteed) hens. I believe most places are about 95% accurate on getting the right sex of day old birds. It gets harder as they get older, until they are about 8 weeks old, because their "parts" disappear for a while. Or at least that's my understanding.

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I suspect that my good friend Murphy will influence the outcome of straight run chicks; if for example you want mostly pullets, you'll probably get mostly cockerels . . . and vicey-versey. 50/50 sounds kinda optimistic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by