What the flock? No eggs, horny rooster.

Whattheflock76

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
Hi all,
First time chicken owner here. I have nine chickens, one rooster and eight hens-They are all different breeds. They are around 20 weeks old now and haven’t laid any eggs! I’ve read and done all the necessary things- private nesting boxes were opened around 16 weeks with decoy eggs. But no eggs!
They are free range during the day and I’ve looked to see if they are laying elsewhere and still haven’t found any.
Also, my rooster, Prince Charming, has been mounting two of my hens- Jasmine and Belle. These are two of the more less dominant hens. I was wondering if that’s normal? What do I do?
Please help!!

We have 7 different breeds-
Barred Rock- Moana
Black Star- jasmine
New Hampshire Red
Buff Orpington- Cinderella
2 Ameracuanas -Ana and Elsa
Light Brahma- Snow White
Black crested polish- Belle
Blue laced Wyandotte- charming

I guess I’ll do more research on each breed. Total novice here- and pretty naive, lol

Barred Rock- Moana
Black Star- jasmine
New Hampshire Red
Light Brahma- Snow White

I guess I’ll do more research on each breed. Total novice here- and pretty naive, lol
The Black Star is a layer Hybrid, do she should start up any time.

Hello and welcome to the BYC community! :frow

At just 20 weeks old, they will soon come into lay, but POL also depends on the breed (hybrids start early, Brahma very late), the feed and overall living conditions.
Thanks! I’ll definitely do more research on the different breeds. We are also working on a larger coop and making it ready for the winter. They are free range during the day and have plenty of room to sleep/roost. However, it does appear that the Brahma might be sleeping in one of the nesting boxes- but there are plants others that show signs of nesting but no eggs.

Barred Rock- Moana
Black Star- jasmine
New Hampshire Red
Light Brahma- Snow White

Can I just say... I adore your chicken names!!!

What do I do?
Just wait. :D

Hopefully the male is only mounting the girls that are closer to laying,
and they are not hiding in the nests from him.

Here's some tips about how to tell......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

You may need to confine them to the coop and run once they start laying.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom