Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
south
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
4 month old cochin bantam, and 4 month old welsummer
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
fast loss of 90% body wieght then death
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
less than one day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
just these two so far
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
no clue
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal if a little runny no sign of worms
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
can act fast enough to do anything
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
treat here
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
dirt/grass run and coop, pine shaving in nesting boxes

early last week, our cochin bantam was completely lively and fine, eating and drinking and running around for treats, the next day, i found her barely alive, wieghing less than a pound and "delirious"... no equilibrium, head would go in circles when picked up... isolated her. no interest in food or water, and dead within 2 hours. fast foward to today, everyone has just yesterday come off a regimen of durmycin for colds, and once again completely active eating and drinking fine, chasing bugs and treats, good wieght. i get off work today, go check on evryone, and shes holed up in the corner...still standing but looked asleep, showed no interest in treats, so i went to check her. (4-5 Month welsummer hen) picked her up and she wieghed maybe 1.5 pounds, and thats giving her a couple ounces. picked her up and again head circles like she has no balance or knew which way was up or what was going on. again immediatly isolated gave water with vits and probios, and wet crumbles, showed absolutely no interest, then passed less than an hour later. does anybody have any idea what is going on here...because while i am trying to thin the flock out for the move, ive already picked the ones im keeping, an of course those are the ones that keep passing. so i really need to figure this out before my whole flock is gone. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Check for lead poisoning. - Are you getting water from lead pipes - it sounds also like dehydration! - Use a dropper to get fluids in to the birds Don;t expect them to do it themselves if they are acting like you say.

Best I can do right now hope someone else can help better. Do check your water , pipes and bowls as it sounds like poison maybe something those two birds ate. Keep an eye on the others as if it is lead it takes time for the poison to do that and it may already be in the other birds.

Oesdog - best of luck with the other birds. Hope this is helpful. - do keep them out of full sun as to lose that kind of weight that quick sounds like dehydration.

Sounds like some sort of poison. Any chance something got into their food or water or ran into their run from another yard. Seems neurologic in nature. Maybe some insect killer or ferlalizer with weed or insect killer? Dont know but just trying to think of what might have happened. Good luck! Poor thing!

CHeck for lice/mites THey seem to have been nasty just about everywhere this year. But also check for poisons & toxins. Does food look and smell fresh? How about the water? Any extra rain or toadstools about? Stagnant water or algae?

Back
Top Bottom