What the heck breed/color am I?! 4 week bantam.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yoshii, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I asked for ID on this little fella when she (she? Lookin' like it so far) was about three days old, but I wanted to ask again now, cos she's not looking like ANY d'Uccle I've ever seen. She's about four weeks old now.

[​IMG]

I'm not good at telling, but it certainly doesn't LOOK like she has a single comb. It's looking more like a pea comb or a walnut comb?! Tiny, flat, pale yellow and sorta wrinkly. My other two d'Uccles have clear single combs at this age.

[​IMG]

And she's looking sort of cuckoo, but the feathers coming in at her breast and neck are white with a little brown in the center.

[​IMG]

...and she looks bearded and tufted.

[​IMG]

See her lighter breast feathers? They're coming in around her neck, too. Yeah, I got no idea. And with her comb, her beard, her tuft and her indeterminate color, I was starting to figure bantie EE, but...

[​IMG]

Slate, lightly feathered legs! And they're only lightly feathered, absolutely NOTHING compared to my two d'Uccles at the same age.

[​IMG]

One more shot of her feathers.

Any ideas? Whatever she is, she's pretty!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    EE cross.

3. Yoshii

Quote:Hm, really? Because I got her from TSC, and they got her from a hatchery (I forget which). Would either TSC or a hatchery have mutts?

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    She looks a lot like some of mine that I hatched out this spring from a EE hen and a cochin roo. Most of my hatchery order turned out mutts when I ordered and paid for pure RIR, BO, Barred Rock, and White Leghorns so yeah a hatchery does have mutts.

5. Yoshii

Also, if it would help, here's a pic of her at a couple days old. No EE chipmunkiness here xD!

[​IMG]

6. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Dark Brahma.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Not all EEs look like chipmunks. One of my EEs was a yellow chick, one was a chipmunk and two were just dark mottled. That's the joy of EEs- they can and do look like all sorts of things.

Whatever she is, she sure is pretty! Are her feathers coming in pencilled?

8. Yoshii

Quote:Huh, I hadn't considered that! Very possibly, she's feathering out to look toactly like one! Only issue, do brahmas come in bantam? Otherwise, could she maybe be a silver penciled/birchen/SOMETHING cochin xD?

And can anyone tell me what that pattern her feathers are developing is?

9. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    yes brahmas come in bantam size I have some from a breeder

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    It looks like a girl atleast. As for breed I am not sure. I was going to say dark brahma but she has greenish legs and alittle beard and muffs. I say she is an 'oops' chick where a rooster jumped the fence, possibly a d'uccle or even a silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by