What the heck happened to my hen?

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
Two months ago, back in July, I woke up to check on the pullets I had just put into the flock. When I got there I was horrified to see my favorite hen Joy, to be standing on a log, tail droopy, eye lids droopy, and egg yolk and shell hanging from her vent. I knew immediately she had broken one of her soft shelled eggs (which we never knew why she started laying, she had plenty of calcium in her feed and oyster shell) I found a vet to take care of her, and rushed her there immediately. They told us that the yolk had hardened inside of her so they couldn’t syringe it out, and the shell was stuck in it to. Her air sacs where blocked by shell as where her intestines. We didn’t think she would make it through the night, but she did, and after a day of not pooping, she passed one big poop resembling a bloody poop, but mixed in where egg shells and yolk. After a few days she broke two more eggs, and we just ignored it and gave her her meds. After a few days of not breaking any, she passed a bloody egg shell. I was horrified and no one knew what it meant on here. We assumed something was wrong with her shell gland, I believe. After that she never laid another egg, as far as I know... but I want to know what happend? Did her body tell her to stop laying? What could have caused her to be laying soft shelled eggs in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom