What the heck is going on here? (broody hen)

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
Ok i have two broody hens left.. Lilly is due to hatch within the next week to 10 days.. Lilac isn't till June.. all of a sudden(like yesterday) Lilly (bird due this month) copped Lilac's nest?
duc.gif
I don't get it she has been dutifully sitting on her nest for ages now(they are Muscovy) have the eggs died? is that why she is trying to get the other hens?

We moved her several times yesterday as the other hen is quite distraught but definitely lower in the pecking order so won't take Lilly on..

I'm lost, all was going great.. er so i thought?
hu.gif
Times like this i wish they could speak .. (i think??)

Last edited:
Ok i have two broody hens left.. Lilly is due to hatch within the next week to 10 days.. Lilac isn't till June.. all of a sudden(like yesterday) Lilly (bird due this month) copped Lilac's nest?
duc.gif
I don't get it she has been dutifully sitting on her nest for ages now(they are Muscovy) have the eggs died? is that why she is trying to get the other hens?

We moved her several times yesterday as the other hen is quite distraught but definitely lower in the pecking order so won't take Lilly on..

I'm lost, all was going great.. er so i thought?
hu.gif
Times like this i wish they could speak .. (i think??)
Could it be any different than chickens? when one of my hens forces another broody off her nest ,say to lay an egg in it, the other hen will go lay on some other eggs and then she forgets to go back and lay in her own nest of eggs, just happened yesterday here. So far my Scovies haven't done this. Can you do a quick candle to see whats going on? I'm the worst candler but If I go into a really dark closet I can usually tell if an egg is bad or not.

YOu can tell by a visual that some of the eggs are dark, Lilly(due end of month) only has 6 eggs... There really isn't a way to separate them.. the nests are separated but the barn is open, these girls still come out on occasion(they are free ranged birds typically)

I'll have to see if i can candle them later when i have help, it's the strangest thing.. all had been going fine till yesterday?
barnie.gif

YOu can tell by a visual that some of the eggs are dark, Lilly(due end of month) only has 6 eggs... There really isn't a way to separate them.. the nests are separated but the barn is open, these girls still come out on occasion(they are free ranged birds typically)

I'll have to see if i can candle them later when i have help, it's the strangest thing.. all had been going fine till yesterday?
barnie.gif
Who can say what is going on in the mind of a broody animal whether it be duck, goose or chicken. They are all crazy. Is anyone sitting on the eggs she abandoned? My girls aren't separated either but so far once they pick a spot to brood they stay in it. Hope you can figure it out.

Just one of the many problems I have encountered when fowl share the same nest or general area for brooding. Some are simply more sensible than others, and others are just simple.

Who can say what is going on in the mind of a broody animal whether it be duck, goose or chicken. They are all crazy. Is anyone sitting on the eggs she abandoned? My girls aren't separated either but so far once they pick a spot to brood they stay in it. Hope you can figure it out.

No, Lilac just wants her nest back! I moved Lilly again, when i first opened the barn they were on their own nests. Sigh...

Just one of the many problems I have encountered when fowl share the same nest or general area for brooding. Some are simply more sensible than others, and others are just simple.

It's hard i cannot possibly make separate areas for everyone, as i said all was going fine till yesterday... the eggs lilly has are due to hatch shortly, i'd pen her off but she still comes out to free range and bathe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom