What the heck is this?

Jeniferb

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
I found this in the nesting box and it is very strange looking, and completely gross. I pulled it apart to see what was inside. Anyone have any idea what it is and why? All my chickens seem healthy and normal. Sorry about this disgusting picture, I was trying make it smaller….

C5ACCAE0-CC93-4F4D-BECB-24CEAAA57FA3.jpeg

That is what's called a lash egg. They consist of pus, tissue, and yolk. Lash eggs are the result of Salpingitis. Watch your hens closely. One of them has a nasty infection.

Do you by chance have any Sex-links?
Yes, I do, my red hen and I’m guessing that the hen that laid the lash egg. she’s was sick a while ago but got better and has been acting normal. she is 2 yrs old and hasn’t laid anything all year. i only have 4 hens, 2 barred rocks and a polish, and i keep things pretty clean. why do you ask about the sex links? Thank you for the information.

Yes, I do, my red hen and I’m guessing that the hen that laid the lash egg. she’s was sick a while ago but got better and has been acting normal. she is 2 yrs old and hasn’t laid anything all year. i only have 4 hens, 2 barred rocks and a polish, and i keep things pretty clean. why do you ask about the sex links? Thank you for the information.
I had a feeling you did, and I'd agree that it's her. She will need antibiotics if it is. Keep a close eye on signs of lethargy so you can treat ASAP.

I asked because Sex-links are extremely prone to reproductive tract issues. Salpingitis in particular. The reason being is that they are engineered to lay more eggs than any other breed. That heavy egg laying comes at the cost of their reproductive tract. They were meant to be disposable. Typically by two years, they are "spent" and that's about when all the issues start happening. Egg producers that use them typically cull between 1.5-2 years and then add new layers and start over.

I had a feeling you did, and I'd agree that it's her. She will need antibiotics if it is. Keep a close eye on signs of lethargy so you can treat ASAP.

I asked because Sex-links are extremely prone to reproductive tract issues. Salpingitis in particular. The reason being is that they are engineered to lay more eggs than any other breed. That heavy egg laying comes at the cost of their reproductive tract. They were meant to be disposable. Typically by two years, they are "spent" and that's about when all the issues start happening. Egg producers that use them typically cull between 1.5-2 years and then add new layers and start over.
Yes, I knew that about the sex links. I’ll take her to a chicken vet. I live in a little town but we actually have a vet who treats chickens. She’s my favorite chicken, she’s so friendly and funny. The only one I named, her name is Ethel. thank you so much for the information.

Back
Top Bottom