What the heck is this?!!!

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
So my 6 month old americana hen has finally started to attempt to lay eggs. Her first was soft shelled then the next two were the size of a Robin's egg. Below is her latest. Should I be worried?

That's a strange one for sure, but nothing to worry about. You can get all sorts of strange eggs from new layers. Nice shell color though - such a pretty green!

So funny! Other than the odd shape I too thought the color was beautiful. She is getting more than enough calcium and none of the other hen are having problems. This is just the first time I've had a hen do this so I wanted to be sure. She's super sweet and very pretty.

That's just too funny! Looks like a toddler's attempt at a Play Doh snake! It's very pretty though. It generally takes a while for their systems to adapt to the laying process. Unless it lasts more than a couple weeks, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd blow them out and keep them for posterity!

Her egg today was the same shape but this time had a soft shell and broke open at one end. I have been adding oyster shell to their food and scratch so hopefully it will get better. All the other hens are laying perfect eggs and they all have the same diet so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom