What the heck is wrong with these eggs?

Dianes Divas

Chirping
Jul 14, 2017
My buff orpington has justbstarted laying her little misform shaped eggs about every few days. Today I decided to hard boil a few of hers. Of course, they don't peel well being fresh, but ugh..the whites were mushy and gel like,,the yolk was cooked..each was like this! What is wrong with her eggs?

It's normal for young pullets or old hens to lay weird shaped eggs, with odd yolks and whites. To help the consistency, make sure the hens have plenty of fresh water. They should also have access to lots of bugs, dirt, etc. Unless you give them a supplement feed (most people don't, since it's harder to find and more expensive), they should occasionally be let outside to free range.

It's normal for young pullets or old hens to lay weird shaped eggs, with odd yolks and whites. To help the consistency, make sure the hens have plenty of fresh water. They should also have access to lots of bugs, dirt, etc. Unless you give them a supplement feed (most people don't, since it's harder to find and more expensive), they should occasionally be let outside to free range.
All that is covered...treats..oyster shells, free range in evenings

We had that problem with some of ours and I realized that I had given more than the usual amount of treats in the previous few days (I was tasked with the fruit tray for a cookout--lots of watermelon scraps!). We cut the treats way down, added scrambled egg for a few days and it definitely got better. We thought maybe too little protein?

We had that problem with some of ours and I realized that I had given more than the usual amount of treats in the previous few days (I was tasked with the fruit tray for a cookout--lots of watermelon scraps!). We cut the treats way down, added scrambled egg for a few days and it definitely got better. We thought maybe too little protein?
Thank you!!! I'll let up on the watermelon‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom