What the heck just happened here?

I live in rural Alaska... I started with 10 birds two years ago, and now have 46, with 5 more coming... that's not counting the 9 turkeys, 15 ducks, 77 quail and 23 meat birds (plus 20 more coming this week, too...)
wink.png

lol.png
There's 42 eggs in the 'bator, too...
lol.png

hehehehe...
hu.gif
... no wonder hubby's worried.

I'm lucky, live in a farm area. Corn fields all around, and nobody to complain about the crowing, or the birds. Around here, someone gets out of thier car, all the chickens come a running. Seems they tie the car to food for some reason. We are in middle of erecting coops and pens, as we just moved here. I can't even count how many chickens or turkeys. Got 18 turkey poults and 26 chicks that just hatched out, and in my utility room. Luckily, hubby don't fuss much.

thumbsup.gif

I was only suppose to have around a dozen. But as of this moment in time I have 23 hens, 24 meat birds, and 13 brand new baby chicks that just came in on Friday. Not to mention that I was suppose to have 1 horse and have 2. Suppose to have 1 pig and have 4 and lets not forget the 1 dog and 3 cats and the all wonderful 1 cow. And I don't even live on a farm. Go figure.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

It started with the comment that I wanted to get a few chickens again. DH bought me 24 RIR chicks for my BDay in early May. Now I've got 3 bators running and 2 Polish from my first hatch 2 weeks ago. Waiting on chickens and turkeys in the bators. Waiting for a bator to do quail. 5 lambs have been here about 10 days. The 2 piglets arrive this week. And we are still tossing around the idea of a beef cow. And I thought I was just going to have a big garden and a couple of chickens this year.
gig.gif

DH says "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess." That should be our motto at BYC.

We live far enough out of town that it's not a problem. We own our own business and have about 4 acres and no real close neighbors except the people who rent from us and I don't think they will complain.
smile.png
Across the road is the cemetery which we also own. Those people are great neighbors....they NEVER complain.
lol.png

4 of us decided we wanted a couple of chickens. We ordered 25 pullets. One person changed her mind so I took 8 instead of the 3 I was going to take. Then another friend had to let her 2 go because she is in town and a neighbor was complaining so now I have 10.
smile.png

They are so much more fun than I thought they would be!

Jackie
3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes ,4 Red Sex Links, Miss Kitty and 6 English Setters.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd be screwed - my lot is just 35' wide! We're putting our coop on the property line in the side yard where we never (used to) go. That house is a rental... guess I should let them know about the chickens, huh? Was goign to go introduce them to the chicks yesterday but one pooped on my shoulder right when I was going to head over.

"Um hi... my name is Jenn. Why yes, that is poop on my shirt! Oh, and on my leg, too! I'd like for you to meet my chickens."

Yes , if you rent you need to ask permission from property owners because of the soil that will no longer be the same after chickens . TO ME , I'd say go for it , because an area where chickens have been MAKE the BEST garden area . LOL

Started with 7, now I can't even count them all!!!!! Last time I tried there were around 50. Plus the 54 in the bator!!!! It's the funnest addiction I've ever had!!!!

What size run and coop do you have to have .

Getting prepared NOW that this coop and run are completed . I can see us enlarging it very soon LOL

BET he goes to the feedstore and accidently comes home with a few more . Awwwwwwwwwww but honey !!!!! look how cute ...

LIZ : >>>>> don't honey me .... LOL

I had about 45-50 chickens and a dozen ducks in April. Now my best friend accuses me of having at least 200 in all- counting the new ducklings, chicks, keets,and button quail I've hatched since May. It's NOT 200, but it is over 100...and there are still about 18 eggs on day 17 in my baotr. I do have to slow down, as that person who asked "what do you do with all the chicks?" did have a point. I love incubating and watching them hatch. Oh I forgot, my NN hen went broody so she's on about 7 eggs, and my Blue Swedish hen went broody too, so she's on 5 eggs. And so it goes....
ep.gif
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom