What the heck was that???

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I just have to share this. I posted earlier asking if a 5 week Silver Dorking cockerel can crow. My Duke has been throwing his head in the air and mouthing a crow for over a week - but nothing ever came out. Well, he is exactly 6 weeks old today, and my husband and I were sitting on the front steps watching the chicks, when Duke did it again. My husband said "I tell you he's trying to crow" and exactly then Duke let out a loud, and very clear, Cock-a-doodle - and that's as far as he got because he scared the crap out of all the hens and they starting running and flying like crazy! It scared him and he took off too!

He did it two more times - never getting past cock-a-doodle - and I ran in to get my camcorder. I filmed him for about 20 minutes, and naturally, he wouldn't make a sound or even act like he wanted to
roll.png

Ever since he crowed, I swear the girls are paying WAY more attention to him - and he's strutting around like he owns the world.

I am so proud of my boy! He is such a sweetheart to start with, and now he's crowing at 6 weeks! I need to go dig up some big, juicy worms for him.
love.gif

Just had to share.

Penny

yuckyuck.gif
They were all shocked - to say the least! It was such a cute crow, though. Not at all like the scratchy, chokey sound I was expecting. Just short a little of a full crow - I'm looking forward to hearing him figure it out.

Penny

Well, either Duke forgot the words to cock-a-doodle-do, or I was just so excited to hear him crow my mind made me hear it clearly when he first crowed yesterday. This morning when I let them out, he crowed in short order. Several times. And each crow was a crackling, rusty sounding cock-er-eeeeeeeeeeechhhhh sound. We laughed until we had tears. The good news is - he didn't scare himself this time. The rest of the flock took off to the far side of the run - but he continued to strut around singing at the top of his lungs.

This is too incredibly cute. Even my husband, who really fought me on getting roosters, is completely entertained by Duke - and defends him by constantly reminding me "He's just a baby. He'll get it figured out."

I have a lot to do today - but I suspect most of it will go unfinished as I pause to watch him and wait for the next serenade.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom