What the heck?

I have some barnyard mixes (four) that started laying @ sixteen weeks. These were similar to yours (only one has a jaunty little CCL comb). Very nice little black hens. Not bantams but not huge. One green, one blue, one gray, one tan layer. All the pullets lay these adorable babydoll eggs at first; sometimes for a couple of weeks.

The diminutive combs are dominant, so neither you nor (possibly) the seller would necessarily know if there was mixed blood there. Do Wyandottes come in black? IDK. They do come in a lot of colors. My gen pop hens (at least some of them) have gotten larger even after starting to lay. She doesn't necessarily have to be a banty. I'll bet she's a mix though, to lay so early.

I have some barnyard mixes (four) that started laying @ sixteen weeks. These were similar to yours (only one has a jaunty little CCL comb). Very nice little black hens. Not bantams but not huge. One green, one blue, one gray, one tan layer. All the pullets lay these adorable babydoll eggs at first; sometimes for a couple of weeks.

The diminutive combs are dominant, so neither you nor (possibly) the seller would necessarily know if there was mixed blood there. Do Wyandottes come in black? IDK. They do come in a lot of colors. My gen pop hens (at least some of them) have gotten larger even after starting to lay. She doesn't necessarily have to be a banty. I'll bet she's a mix though, to lay so early.
Thank you for the great reply, would not like thinking the young man raising these hens would intentionally lie to me. Usually chicken folks are great at helping one another, Phil

If you can fit her in your hand like it kinda looks like, she’s not a standard size Wyandotte. You’d need two hands to hold up a standard, at least I would. I don’t really know about banty sizes, so not sure if a true bantam? As far as egg laying timing, I thought I read between 4-6 months depending on breed?

Yes, one hand really small, but already love these 3 little hens, they will be here until the go natural unless something should happen beyond my control. Even though I don’t give my hens names and I try to not think of them as pets it doesn’t take long before you are sitting watching them scratch, eat and making hen noises.

Back
Top Bottom