What the... O.o

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
Now I know its not normal for Silkies to roost.. and yet I have one that does!! Here lately I think my partright thinks she's a Serama and hops up on the roost with my 12 week old Serama pullet :hmm

I've been trying to get a pic of it for a while but she jumps off when I walk up with the camera!

Some do, some don't. My 3rd silkie (oh so many years ago) roosted atop a 4' tall lose wire fence. He chose that all by himself. When silkies are cooped with other breeds, many will learn to roost.

Some of my Silkies roost and others sleep in the nest boxes on the floor or huddle in a corner together.

It is not unusual for Silkies to roost but it has to be a height they can get up to and a board they like the feel of.

I have a Serama in the pen with one group of Silkies and she will roost with the Silkies when she isn't broody or doesn't have babies, which isn't often. I built that pen and coop specifically for the Silkies and they have lots of great places to sleep and the rooster always sleeps on the roost, though not all the hens do. And of course, the pullets mostly sleep in a corner until they start laying and then they might roost with the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom