what the quack?!

chicken1234

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 11, 2011
Ontario Canada
This duckling was the last to hatch on April 4th. He came out all twisted, flat on his back with his legs out to the side. Just laid there, I turned him over but he couldn't walk and his neck looked kinked. I taped his legs the next day when he couldn't walk or stand and after a day with the tape and me feeding him I removed the tape and he was able to get around. He had one leg that sort of dragged and he held his head at a angle. So he has improved to where he can walk, run, eat, drink BUT his neck still looks crooked and his crop looks like it is on the side of his neck. Anyone seen this before? I'm hoping he won't have issues but I am not sure what this is?

Attachments

• duckneck4.JPG
    duckneck4.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 19
  • duckneck3.JPG
    duckneck3.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 17
  • duckneck2.JPG
    duckneck2.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 18
  • duckneck1.JPG
    duckneck1.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 18
is it eating and drinking okay still? Maybe isolate it with a friend for a few hours so you can observe if it's eating like it should be!

Either way, have you tried any electrolytes, niacin, and/or vitamin e? All my near-loss ducklings survived when I started them on sav-a-chik electrolytes and Vitamins B3 &E!

could it be wry neck?
It feels like its his crop out of place
is it eating and drinking okay still? Maybe isolate it with a friend for a few hours so you can observe if it's eating like it should be!

Either way, have you tried any electrolytes, niacin, and/or vitamin e? All my near-loss ducklings survived when I started them on sav-a-chik electrolytes and Vitamins B3 &E!
He is in my living room so I can watch him. He is eating and drinking fine just awkwardly with this hump. The others don't bother him at all. He has brewers yeast (niacin) added to his feed. He is growing but smaller than the rest but he could be a different breed of duck. If I'd guess it is some sort of deformity. As he grows it gets larger though.

His crop does look quite far off-center. But maybe that could be just a less common, but still normal variation.
But I would think that a crop that huge & almost bulbous would probably make him hold his neck at an unusual angle. I mean, he’s still learning how to control his body, so if he‘s feeling pressure, he just might adopt a strange posture to compensate. :confused:
How does he look when his crop is relatively empty?

His crop does look quite far off-center. But maybe that could be just a less common, but still normal variation.
But I would think that a crop that huge & almost bulbous would probably make him hold his neck at an unusual angle. I mean, he’s still learning how to control his body, so if he‘s feeling pressure, he just might adopt a strange posture to compensate. :confused:
How does he look when his crop is relatively empty?
The bulge is smaller for sure when his crop is empty. He came out of the egg all twisted up. I'm wondering if I should switch to duck grower if that might help? They are on unmedicated poultry starter plus I added brewers yeast because no one carries duck starter here. With the stay at home order I'm limited to what I can pick up if I order something in. I did buy duck grower to have on hand though so I have that in my basement.

Back
Top Bottom