1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time do they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, Sep 5, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have never seen my girls in the nesting boxes. Actually - the only time I see them in the coop is roosting after dark. They are outside from sun up to sun down!

I know 'someone' is in the next box because I see feathers and the golf balls are moved. However, I wanted to catch them in the nest boxes. I think I have 2 that are close to laying...

What time of day (early morning, afternoon, dusk???) do they usually lay?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Mine usually lay before noon but we quite often get eggs in the afternoon. I can't recall any evening eggs.

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Quote:The answer is "yes."

[​IMG]

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    my girl lays between 10:30 am and 4pm. and all in between. This particular hen does not have a set time. Do hens usually lay at the same time everyday????

5. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    My BO layes some where between 1 and 2:30 pm.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:The answer is "yes."

[​IMG]

Too true, and don't forget occasionally at night. [​IMG]

Imp

7. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    I just took three eggs out of the nesting box. I just let them out and one was still in the nest, within moments she had gotton off the nest and I had a nice warm egg. I think mine lay sometime between 8 and noon or later. HUH, that tells you alot. [​IMG]

8. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    thanks for the info.
    i have had golf balls in the nest for 2 weeks now and nothing. my girls are 20 weeks.

i know i one or two that should lay anytime.
    so i hard boiled some brown eggs and put in there...we'll see if that tricks them.

just wanted to see the girls in their nest boxes. they just love being outsdie.

9. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I have 3 laying right now... and by 9 they're letting everyone in the neighborhood know what they are about to do... followed by an hour of focused grunting style noises, then followed by another 30 minutes of celebration. So in the last 4 weeks of their egg laying lives they have been on schedule between 9-11.

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

My flock lays throughout the day.
    There is usually a couple in the boxes when I open the coops in the morning which is around 8:00 am then I get them steadily throughout the day until around 5:00 pm
    The boxes are usually full and a waiting line going on around 10:00am though so that seems to be their peak time here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by