What time do your chickens go to bed?

I miss the days of being able to sit out with my girls at 6:30.

Now they go to bed at 5:10 or so. If I go out then they feel "safe" because "Mom/the protector" is out there and they will come out (2 or 3 out of 5) and start ranging around again!

I have learned not to go out until 5:30 to close the pop door unless the weather is nice and I don't mind standing "guard" over my flock.

Yours are going to bed waaay early.

4:45 here. Since I am new to chickens, I notice that they start "talking" to each other about roosting. One starts, and the rest seem to respond to it, and they all wander back to the coop.

Pretty cool.
big_smile.png

Since my "freeloaders" decide to get out of bed late (since Heaven know's they won't be doing anything PRODUCTIVE), they still choose to go to bed about 45 minutes before dark. Lazy things.

Quote:
Yup....there ya go again....makes you wonder if that's not WHY they are freeloaders, doesn't it? Sounds like mine.....

Hey there,

Mine are all tucked in their house between 4:30- 5pm. Its dark early these days, so they tend to want that on their own...But even in the summer months I lock them up early...I find it helps reduce predator attacks too.

Take Care,
Bill.

Quote:
Yes this is quite true. When it starts to get dark, sometimes the resident hawk will show up and sit in a tree about five feet above them. I have to keep an eye out for him or her. The girls usually tell me when he shows up. So do the sparrows.
ep.gif

Quote:
Yup, mine arise and roost with the sun, too. . . I think that is the natural way. . . . I am (so far) resisting using any artificial light. . . I'm convinced that "natures way" is the best.

Back
Top Bottom