What time do your chickens put themselves to bed?

Pics
Right now mine are at 7:45pm they have been getting later as the days get longer. I have to change my door open/close times this weekend so no one gets left out.

Sunset. Except for Hortense. She likes her 'me time' and stays out just a little later until it's actually dark.
I have a black silkie named gronkowski (she's a girl but I didn't know that when I named her lol) that does the same. One time I didn't see her and she got left outside. Good thing I have a secure run. I felt so bad for her. Now I have a flashlight In hand lol

My girls go into pen from free ranging around sunset, earlier if cloudy. They go into coop 10 to 15 minutes after sunset, earlier if cloudy or raining. GC

Mine often hang around outside after sunset - maybe they hope that I somehow forget them there and they can have "wild junglefowl night" in their favorite hiding place under the deck. Too dangerous, of course. I have trained them with the help of treats to go into the coop when I come for my evening round and make a hissing noise. I usually throw a bit of food into the coop at the same time. Sometimes they also go inside on their own before I get to them, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Back
Top Bottom